Why is the sum of exponential function 2^x for n iterations one less than 2^n?

In summary, the conversation discusses the sum of a function for n iterations, specifically 2^x from 0 to n, and how it relates to the binomial theorem and geometric series. It is found that for a specific number, 524287, 19 iterations are needed, resulting in the sum being one less than 2^19. The binomial theorem is used to explain the general rule of \sum_{i=0}^n 2^{i}=2^{n+1}-1. The conversation also includes a clarification on the connection between the binomial theorem and the sum.
Bassalisk
I posted a related thread, in the same forum regarding matlab, but I want to discuss this here separately.

Few minutes ago I became very confused baffled and surprised at the same time.

consider function [itex]2^{x}[/itex].

Now consider the sum of this function for n iterations.(from 0 to n)

[itex]\sum_{x=0}^n 2^{x}[/itex].

Using my humble knowledge of c++ I found that you need 19 iterations (including zero as iteration) for a number 524287.

so 1+2+4+8+16...+262144=524287

By case, found that this sum is 1 less than the [itex]2^{19}[/itex].

so [itex]524287=2^{19}-1[/itex]

Why? I am not best mathematician you will come across but this i found very interesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
The binomial theorem states that
[tex]
(x+y)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n {n \choose k}x^{n-k}y^k = \sum_{k=0}^n {n \choose k}x^{k}y^{n-k}.
[/tex]

Now set, x=1 and y=1.

Charles49 said:
The binomial theorem states that
[tex]
(x+y)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n {n \choose k}x^{n-k}y^k = \sum_{k=0}^n {n \choose k}x^{k}y^{n-k}.
[/tex]

Now set, x=1 and y=1.

I don't think I understand.

General rule I got out of my numbers is:

[itex]\sum_{i=0}^n 2^{i}=2^{n+1}-1[/itex]

By putting zeros into my binomial equation i get:

[itex]2^n =1+ \sum_{k=1}^n {n \choose k}1^{n-k}1^k=1+\sum_{k=1}^n {n \choose k}[/itex]

How do I relate factorial formula to [itex]\sum_{i=0}^n 2^{i}[/itex]

This is an example of a "geometric seriies" (google will find lots of web pages). It is a bit of a "special case" because you used 2 as the multiplying factor.

In general, suppose you have a sum
[tex]S = 1 + x + x^2 \cdots + x^{n-1}[/tex]
You can multiply both sides by x to get
[tex] Sx = x + x^2 + x^3 + \cdots + x^n[/tex]
Now subtract the first sum from the second one. All the terms in the sums cancel out except for the first and last ones, and you get
[tex]Sx - S = S(x-1) = x^n -1[/tex]
When [itex]x = 2[/itex] the result is even simpler because [itex]x-1 = 1[/itex], and you get
[tex] 1 + 2 + 2^2 ... + 2^{n-1} = 2^n - 1[/tex]

BTW I don't really understand what the Binomial theorem has to do with this either.

AlephZero said:
This is an example of a "geometric seriies" (google will find lots of web pages). It is a bit of a "special case" because you used 2 as the multiplying factor.

In general, suppose you have a sum
[tex]S = 1 + x + x^2 \cdots + x^{n-1}[/tex]
You can multiply both sides by x to get
[tex] Sx = x + x^2 + x^3 + \cdots + x^n[/tex]
Now subtract the first sum from the second one. All the terms in the sums cancel out except for the first and last ones, and you get
[tex]Sx - S = S(x-1) = x^n -1[/tex]
When [itex]x = 2[/itex] the result is even simpler because [itex]x-1 = 1[/itex], and you get
[tex] 1 + 2 + 2^2 ... + 2^{n-1} = 2^n - 1[/tex]

BTW I don't really understand what the Binomial theorem has to do with this either.

This makes sense. Thank you !

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in the form of y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the independent variable. The base, b, is typically a positive number greater than 1, and the exponent, x, can be any real number. This function is characterized by a rapid increase or decrease in values as the x-value increases or decreases, respectively.

2. How is an exponential function graphed?

To graph an exponential function, plot a few points by choosing different values for x and calculating the corresponding y-values using the given equation. Then, connect the points with a smooth curve. The graph will have a similar shape to a logarithmic curve, with a steep increase or decrease depending on the value of b.

3. What is the significance of the number 2 in the function 2^x?

The number 2 is the base of the exponential function 2^x. It determines the rate at which the function increases or decreases. For example, if the base were 3, the function would increase or decrease at a faster rate than if the base were 2.

4. How is the sum of exponential functions calculated?

The sum of exponential functions can be calculated by adding the individual functions together. For example, if we have two exponential functions, f(x) = 2^x and g(x) = 3^x, their sum would be h(x) = 2^x + 3^x. This can be simplified using the laws of exponents to h(x) = 2^x * 3^x = 6^x.

5. What is the relationship between an exponential function and its inverse function?

The inverse function of an exponential function is a logarithmic function. This means that the input and output values of these two functions are reversed. For example, the inverse of the exponential function y = 2^x is the logarithmic function y = log2(x). Graphically, this relationship can be seen as a reflection of the exponential curve over the line y = x.