Simplifying Exponential Functions | Solving Equations

In summary: So 3^\sqrt{2} is irrational to an irrational power, which means it is rational.In summary, 3^\sqrt{2} is irrational to an irrational power and is therefore rational.
amd123

Homework Statement

1. (3*square root of 2)^square root of 2 How do I simplify this and other exponential expressions?
2. 3^(power of 2*x)-1=3^(power of x) + 2 How do i solve this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to attempt it...

Physics news on Phys.org
so you have
1. [tex](3\sqrt 2)^{\sqrt 2}[/tex]
and
2. [tex](3)^{2x}-1=3^{x}+2[/tex]
Number 1 looks like a calculator problem.
Number 2 looks like a quadratic if you let [tex]y=3^x[/tex]
I didn't work it out and I don't know exactly what your requirements are

there are none for 1 i have to simplify and for 2 i have to find the value of x that makes both of those equal

you have to make 1 and 2 equal?
Please state the original problem. Is my interpretationof the equations accurate?

yes they are correct

basically i have to find the value of x and by taking what the number is being multiplied to the power of so 3^x +2
I would set that equal to something like that from the first part. GAhh its hard, MATH IS HARD!

please state the problem as it is written. I'm not seeing the connection here. I want to help you out.

ahhh i found the problem http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/1574/48510718lv6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not completely sure if I understand the problems.

1) [tex](3^{\sqrt2})^\sqrt2[/tex]

[tex](x^m)(x^n) = x^{m*n}[/tex]

so,
[tex]3^{\sqrt2*\sqrt2}[/tex]

Now just simplify it a little more.

2) [tex]3^{3x} - 1 = 3^{x+2}[/tex]

Possibly use ln to solve.[tex]ln(3^{3x} - 1) = ln(3^{x+2})[/tex]

[tex]2xln3-(x+2)ln3 = ln1[/tex]

[tex]ln3(2x-(x+2))=ln1[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{ln1}{ln3}+2[/tex]

Last edited:
those last equations are not correct,
[tex]ln(x+y) \not= lnx+lny[/tex]

amd123 said:
ahhh i found the problem http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/1574/48510718lv6.jpg
There is no "problem" there, just an expression and an equation with no indication what you are to do with them. Furthermore, it makes no sense to say "make them equal"- an expression cannot be equal to an equation.

[tex](3^\sqrt{2})^\sqrt{2}[/tex]
can be simplified a lot by using the "law of exponents": (ab)c= abc. What is [itex]\sqrt{2}\sqrt{2}[/itex]?

For
[tex]3^{3x} - 1 = 3^{x+2}[/tex]
write it as
[tex](3^x)^3- 1= (3^x)(3^2)[/itex]
and let u= 3x. Then your equation becomes
[tex]u^3- 1= 9u[/itex]
Unfortunately, that clearly does not have any rational number solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm omg this is simple alg 2 why can't I get this? Now I can't understand logartithms :( I'm going to have to use google to search some of this up.

Hi amd123! :smile:

Your original question was (3*square root of 2)^square root of 2.

But your .jpg looks like (3^square root of 2)^square root of 2.

Which is it? :confused:

This problem reminds me of the proof that it is possible to have an irrational number, to an irrational power, equal to a rational number.

Consider [itex]3^\sqrt{2}[/itex]. If that is rational, we are done. Of course, I don't happen to know whether it is rational or not, but that doesn't matter because if it is not rational then [itex](3^\sqrt{2})^\sqrt{2}[/itex] is "an irrational number to an irrational power" and is clearly rational.

We haven't determined what "irrational number to an irrational power" is rational, but it must be one of those!

What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which the independent variable appears in the exponent. It is typically written in the form f(x) = ab^x, where a is the initial value and b is the base.

What is the difference between an exponential function and a linear function?

The main difference between an exponential function and a linear function is that the rate of change in an exponential function increases or decreases at an increasing rate, while the rate of change in a linear function remains constant.

How do you graph an exponential function?

To graph an exponential function, you can plot several points by choosing values for x and solving for y using the given equation. Then, connect the points with a smooth curve to create the graph.

What is the domain and range of an exponential function?

The domain of an exponential function is all real numbers, while the range depends on the base of the function. If the base is greater than 1, the range is all positive real numbers. If the base is between 0 and 1, the range is all positive numbers less than 1.

How are exponential functions used in real life?

Exponential functions are used in many real-life situations, such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. They can also be used to model the growth or decay of natural phenomena, such as bacteria growth or the cooling of a hot object.