1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Integration Question

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    Why is [itex]e^{\int \frac{dt}{t}}[/itex] = [itex]e^{ln|t|}[/itex] = t as apposed to |t|? I don't understand what happened to the absolute value operator. Thanks for any help.

I understand that [itex]e^{x}[/itex]>0. Is this the justification? But I don't understand why you can't have a negative t in [itex]e^{ln|t|}[/itex] because you would take the absolute value of a negative number.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It should be |t|, as you thought.

It's possible that there is some other context that you're not including, in which t is assumed to be positive. In that case, |t| = t.

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    If I had the differential equation

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{y}{t}[/itex] = 5

Then using integration factors

y = [itex]\frac{5∫e^{\int \frac{dt}{t}}dt}{e^{\int \frac{dt}{t}}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{5∫e^{ln|t|}dt}{e^{ln|t|}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{5∫|t|dt}{|t|}[/itex]

I'm unsure how to proceed without ignoring the absolute value functions but it appears ignoring them seems to be just fine for whatever reason

5. Jan 29, 2012 #4
    bump - went onto second page

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook