1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential or not?

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    I have a curve I obtained in COMSOL representing a electric field for m structure. I have to figure how to determine when the curve starts to become exponential decaying at certain regions.

Any idea how to determine when the curve starts becoming exponential decaying from a plot?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Plot the curve on semi-log paper. A straight line there will be equivalent to exponential on a linear plot.

4. Sep 29, 2014 #3
    How do I see when the plot is no longer linear? I am estimating the curves R2-values (coefficient of determination).

I get values like,

etc

I just don't know how to determine when it stops being linear. Do you have any suggestions?

5. Sep 29, 2014 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand your concern. When you plot it and it starts to curve then it is no longer linear.

6. Sep 29, 2014 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Low values of R^2 go together with a low (linear) goodness-of-fit .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook