Is My Electric Field Curve Exhibiting Exponential Decay?

• Thread starter nordmoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the conversation discusses determining when a plotted curve begins to exhibit exponential decay. The suggestion is to plot the curve on semi-log paper and look for a straight line, as this would indicate exponential decay on a linear plot. The individual is also trying to determine when the curve is no longer linear by analyzing R^2 values. However, it is stated that when the curve starts to curve, it is no longer linear. Low values of R^2 indicate a low linear goodness-of-fit.
nordmoon
I have a curve I obtained in COMSOL representing a electric field for m structure. I have to figure how to determine when the curve starts to become exponential decaying at certain regions.

Any idea how to determine when the curve starts becoming exponential decaying from a plot?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Plot the curve on semi-log paper. A straight line there will be equivalent to exponential on a linear plot.

How do I see when the plot is no longer linear? I am estimating the curves R2-values (coefficient of determination).

I get values like,

etc

I just don't know how to determine when it stops being linear. Do you have any suggestions?

I don't understand your concern. When you plot it and it starts to curve then it is no longer linear.

Low values of R^2 go together with a low (linear) goodness-of-fit .

What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth where the rate of increase is proportional to the current value. This causes a rapid and continuous increase over time.

How can you tell if a graph represents exponential growth?

A graph that represents exponential growth will have a characteristic "J-shaped" curve, with a steep increase that continues to rise rapidly without leveling off.

What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Some examples of exponential growth in nature include population growth, bacterial growth, and compound interest in financial investments.

Is exponential growth sustainable?

No, exponential growth is not sustainable in the long term. Eventually, resources will become limited and the growth rate will slow down or reach a plateau.

How is exponential growth different from linear growth?

In linear growth, the rate of increase is constant, resulting in a steady and gradual increase over time. In exponential growth, the rate of increase is constantly accelerating, leading to a rapid and continuous increase.