Exponents and exponential functions

In summary, an exponent is a mathematical notation that indicates how many times a base number should be multiplied by itself. It can be written as a superscript to the right of the base number. Exponential notation is different from standard notation in that it includes an exponent, while standard notation does not. To simplify expressions with exponents, you can use the laws of exponents and the fact that any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1. Exponential functions have various real-life applications, such as in financial and economic models and natural phenomena. To solve exponential equations, you can use the fact that equal exponential expressions must have equal exponents, or you can use logarithms.
carbz
Please note, there are more questions than what I'm going to give, in total I'll be giving 3. I hope to use the information with the others.

1)

Homework Statement

Solve the equation:
[tex]5^{1-2x} = \frac{1}{5}[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that to make live easier, to put the entire fraction up to the first power. From there, I would use algebra in the sense of:
[tex]1-2x=1[/tex]
[tex]-2x=0[/tex]
To get x = 0. But, that doesn't seem to be possible, since the exponent must turn out to be negative.

2)

Homework Statement

Solve the Equation:
[tex]8^{x^{2} - 2x}} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

For this one, I was thinking of setting the fraction equal to 1, then factoring that out to get two answers:
[tex]x^2 - 2x = 1[/tex] [tex]x^2 - 2x - 1 = 0[/tex]
But, then I'm stuck there.

3)

Homework Statement

Solve the equation:
[tex]e^{x^2} = (e^{3x})(\frac{1}{e^2})[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

I'm completely clueless on this one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
carbz said:
Please note, there are more questions than what I'm going to give, in total I'll be giving 3. I hope to use the information with the others.

1)

Homework Statement

Solve the equation:
[tex]5^{1-2x} = \frac{1}{5}[/tex]

Homework Equations

None
Actually a very relevant equation, or, more correctly, statement, would be "if ax= ay then x= y" (the exponential functions are "one-to-one").

I was thinking that to make live easier, to put the entire fraction up to the first power. From there, I would use algebra in the sense of:
[tex]1-2x=1[/tex]
[tex]-2x=0[/tex]
To get x = 0. But, that doesn't seem to be possible, since the exponent must turn out to be negative.
[itex]\frac{1}{5}= 5^{-1}[/itex] not 51

2)

Homework Statement

Solve the Equation:
[tex]8^{x^{2} - 2x}} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

For this one, I was thinking of setting the fraction equal to 1, then factoring that out to get two answers:
[tex]x^2 - 2x = 1[/tex] [tex]x^2 - 2x - 1 = 0[/tex]
But, then I'm stuck there.
8= 23 so [itex]8^{x^2- 2x}= 2^{3(x^2- 2x)}[/itex]

3)

Homework Statement

Solve the equation:
[tex]e^{x^2} = (e^{3x})(\frac{1}{e^2})[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

I'm completely clueless on this one.
Learn the "laws of exponents": (ax)y= axy (used in 2 above) and axay[/sup]= ax+y.
Here, [itex]e^{3x}(\frac{1}{e^2}= (e^{3x})(e^{-x})= e^{3x-x}= e^{2x}[/itex]. Your equation is [itex]e^{x^2}= e^{x}[/itex] so x2= x.

All right. For the first one, I see where you went from there. I got the answer to that to be [tex]x=1[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
8= 23 so [itex]8^{x^2- 2x}= 2^{3(x^2- 2x)}[/itex]

Ok, so with the exponents, that would be [tex]3(x^2 - 2x) = 1[/tex]. Then, factoring out an x would make it: 3x(x-2) =1 . Dividing it would cause the equation to look like: [tex]x-2 = \frac{1}{3x}[/tex] Then [tex]-2 = \frac{-2}{3x}[/tex] then [tex]-6x = -2[/tex] then finally I get [tex]x = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]. Is that correct?
HallsofIvy said:
Learn the "laws of exponents": (ax)y= axy (used in 2 above) and axay= ax+y.
Here, [itex]e^{3x}(\frac{1}{e^2}= (e^{3x})(e^{-x})= e^{3x-x}= e^{2x}[/itex]. Your equation is [itex]e^{x^2}= e^{x}[/itex] so x2= x.

Ok, since that is so, the answer could only be either 0 or 1, since both when squared equal what it orginally was.

Last edited:
carbz said:
All right. For the first one, I see where you went from there. I got the answer to that to be [tex]x=1[/tex].

Ok, so with the exponents, that would be [tex]3(x^2 - 2x) = 1[/tex]. Then, factoring out an x would make it: 3x(x-2) =1 .

[tex]\frac{1}{2}=2^{-1}[/tex] not 21

Dividing it would cause the equation to look like: [tex]x-2 = \frac{1}{3x}[/tex] Then [tex]-2 = \frac{-2}{3x}[/tex] then [tex]-6x = -2[/tex] then finally I get [tex]x = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]. Is that correct?

This is a quadratic equation, and so will have two solutions. In solving it, you should put the equation in the familliar form, and use the quadratic formula:
[tex] x=\frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a} [/tex]. In particular, you cannot divide by x, since you do not know it's value (it could be zero.)

Ok, since that is so, the answer could only be either 0 or 1, since both when squared equal what it orginally was.

Actually, I think HallsofIvy carried a typo through the below calculation:

HallsofIvy said:
Learn the "laws of exponents": (ax)y= axy (used in 2 above) and axay[/sup]= ax+y.
Here, [itex]e^{3x}(\frac{1}{e^2})= (e^{3x})(e^{-x})= e^{3x-x}= e^{2x}[/itex]. Your equation is [itex]e^{x^2}= e^{x}[/itex] so x2= x.

It should read:
[tex]e^{3x}(\frac{1}{e^2})= (e^{3x})(e^{-2})= e^{3x-2}[/tex] which gives your equation [itex]e^{x^2}=e^{3x-2}[/itex] giving [itex]x^2=3x-2[/itex]. This can again be solved as a quadratic equation.

carbz said:

Ok, so with the exponents, that would be [tex]3(x^2 - 2x) = 1[/tex]. Then, factoring out an x would make it: 3x(x-2) =1 . Dividing it would cause the equation to look like: [tex]x-2 = \frac{1}{3x}[/tex] Then [tex]-2 = \frac{-2}{3x}[/tex] then [tex]-6x = -2[/tex] then finally I get [tex]x = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]. Is that correct?
How did you manage to go from [itex]x-2= \frac{1}{3x}[itex] to [itex]-2= \frac{-2}{3x}[/itex]? [itex]3(x^2- 2x)= 1[/itex] is a quadratic equation, as Cristo says. In "standard form" it is [itex]3x^2- 6x- 1= 0[/itex].

Unfortunately, as Cristo said, I misread [itex]\frac{1}{e^2}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{1}{e^{2x}}[itex]. Check what he wrote.

1. What is an exponent?

An exponent is a mathematical notation that indicates the number of times a base number should be multiplied by itself. It is written as a superscript to the right of the base number.

2. What is the difference between exponential notation and standard notation?

In exponential notation, a number is written as a product of a base number and an exponent, while in standard notation, a number is written as a single number without any exponents.

3. How do you simplify expressions with exponents?

To simplify expressions with exponents, you can use the laws of exponents. These include the product rule (a^m * a^n = a^(m+n)), the power rule ((a^m)^n = a^(m*n)), and the quotient rule (a^m / a^n = a^(m-n)). You can also use the fact that any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1.

4. What are some real-life applications of exponential functions?

Exponential functions are commonly used in financial and economic models, such as compound interest and population growth. They can also be used to model natural phenomena, such as radioactive decay and bacterial growth.

5. How do you solve exponential equations?

To solve exponential equations, you can use the fact that if two exponential expressions with the same base are equal, their exponents must also be equal. This allows you to set the exponents equal to each other and solve for the variable. You can also use logarithms to solve exponential equations.