Express signal in terms of ramp, exponential, and parabolic functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
Color_of_Cyan
Messages
386
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Express the following signal in terms of ramp, exponential, and parabolic functions, where t should be consistently shifted

Homework Equations



signal simplification techniques, not known to me

The Attempt at a Solution



It seems you can express this in terms of step functions too, but not sure.

x(t) = -4(t + 4)

x(t) = -4r(t - 1)


I know you were supposed to have a ramp function here though.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Color_of_Cyan said:

Homework Statement



Express the following signal in terms of ramp, exponential, and parabolic functions, where t should be consistently shifted

Homework Equations



signal simplification techniques, not known to me

The Attempt at a Solution



It seems you can express this in terms of step functions too, but not sure.

x(t) = -4(t + 4)

x(t) = -4r(t - 1)


I know you were supposed to have a ramp function here though.

What's "the following signal"?

The 2 equations you wrote look like ramps to me...
 
Ugh how did I miss that..

Homework Statement



Express the following signal in terms of ramp, exponential, and parabolic functions, where t should be consistently shifted

x(t) = -4(t + 4)u(t - 1)
 
In this problem, I'm not sure. Do you mean the definition of it? It is the integral of the impulse function but not sure how to apply that here.
 
Oh, the unit step function. Okay, I get it.

So can you sketch that function okay? It still looks like a ramp function to me then, starting at a particular time t, with a slope and offset. Do you know what the term "consistently shifted" means in the context of this question? I'm not familiar with that terminology.
 
berkeman said:
Do you know what the term "consistently shifted" means in the context of this question? I'm not familiar with that terminology.

You're supposed to change it so that you have "+ 1 " or "-1" somewhere in there that's all I know