Expressing signal as a sum of functions

In summary, the conversation discusses expressing a given function as a sum of step and ramp functions. The function is V(t) = [2t - 4] u(t) u(4 - t), and the goal is to find its equivalent form using step and ramp functions. The meaning of u(t-4) is a unit step function displaced by four units in time. The person attempting the question is unsure of how to proceed and is looking for help. The conversation also mentions the concept of an observer and asks for an explanation of the features of the function V(t) = 2t that an observer would see.
abcdefhij

Homework Statement

V(t) = [2t - 4] u(t) u(4 - t)

I need to express this a sum of step and ramp functions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea how to proceed

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the meaning of this: u(t-4) ?

unit step displaced by four units in time, I believe?

FOIWATER said:
unit step displaced by four units in time, I believe?
Are you also abcdefhij?

No I am not, sorry

Sorry

Sorry I have been really busy and unfortunately I was not able to reply to your comments soon
enough. Yes, it is unit step time, and I have no idea how to do the question

abcdefhij said:
Sorry I have been really busy and unfortunately I was not able to reply to your comments soon
enough. Yes, it is unit step time, and I have no idea how to do the question

Can you explain in words what features an observer would see in this function: V(t) = 2t

I would need at least 50 words, you may need a few more than that.

1. What does it mean to express a signal as a sum of functions?

Expressing a signal as a sum of functions means breaking down a complex signal into simpler components, each of which can be described by a mathematical function. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the signal and can help to identify patterns or specific characteristics.

2. Why is expressing a signal as a sum of functions useful?

Expressing a signal as a sum of functions can provide a better understanding of the underlying components that make up a signal. It can also help with noise reduction and identifying specific features or patterns within the signal.

3. What are some common functions used in expressing signals?

Some common functions used in expressing signals include sine, cosine, exponential, and polynomial functions. The specific functions used will depend on the type of signal being analyzed and the desired level of detail.

4. Is it possible to express any type of signal as a sum of functions?

In theory, any signal can be expressed as a sum of functions. However, the complexity and accuracy of the function representation will depend on the signal itself and the chosen functions used to describe it.

5. How does expressing a signal as a sum of functions relate to Fourier analysis?

Expressing a signal as a sum of functions is a fundamental concept in Fourier analysis. The Fourier transform breaks down a signal into its frequency components, which can then be represented as a sum of sine and cosine functions. This allows for the analysis of signals in the frequency domain, which can provide valuable insights into the underlying patterns and characteristics of the signal.