Express t and s as functions of x and y given

  • Thread starter Thread starter sapiental
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Functions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
sapiental
Messages
110
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

How do I express t and s as functions of x and y given

x = -(2t+1)*s/(t^2-1)
y = e^(t + ln|s|)
I keep getting stuck in a loop.


Homework Equations



substitution

The Attempt at a Solution



x= -(2t+1)*s/(t^2-1) I get t = sqrt(1-s/x)

t = sqrt(1-s/x)

s = e^(-t)y

substituting the terms in either expression gets me stuck in a loop. What am I doing wrong?

what I need is t = T(x,y) and s = S(x,y). The other important part is that s needs to stay any real number.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you have a prayer of finding a nice expression for T and S. Why do you want to do this? Ask yourself if you really have to.