Expression for Electric Field Outside Sphere

In summary, to find the expression for a such that the electric field outside a uniformly charged sphere is zero, one needs to integrate the charge density over the volume of the sphere and use Gauss's Law to determine the total charge needed. Other methods may also be used.
Ryan129

Homework Statement

The charge desnsity within a uniformly charged sphere of radius R is ρ = ρ0 - ar2, where ρ0 and a are constants and r is the distance from the center. Find an expression for a such that the electric field outside the sphere is zero.

Homework Equations

Electric Field outside a sphere
E = KQ/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble setting up this problem, I'm not quite sure where to start. If someone could help me I would very much appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryan129 said:

Homework Statement

The charge desnsity within a uniformly charged sphere of radius R is ρ = ρ0 - ar2, where ρ0 and a are constants and r is the distance from the center. Find an expression for a such that the electric field outside the sphere is zero.

Homework Equations

Electric Field outside a sphere
E = KQ/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble setting up this problem, I'm not quite sure where to start. If someone could help me I would very much appreciate it.
Hello Ryan129. Welcome to PF !

You will need to integrate the charge density over the whole volume of the sphere & use Gauss's Law to tell you haow muck total charge you need to get that E-field outside of the sphere.

There are other ways to do it.

1. What is the formula for the electric field outside a sphere?

The formula for the electric field outside a sphere is given by E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. How is the electric field outside a sphere affected by the charge of the sphere?

The electric field outside a sphere is directly proportional to the charge of the sphere. This means that as the charge of the sphere increases, the electric field also increases.

3. Does the electric field outside a sphere vary with distance?

Yes, the electric field outside a sphere varies with distance. As the distance from the center of the sphere increases, the electric field decreases due to the inverse square law.

4. Can the electric field outside a sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric field outside a sphere can be negative. This can occur if the charge of the sphere is negative, or if the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive direction.

5. How does the electric field outside a sphere compare to the electric field inside the sphere?

The electric field outside a sphere is always greater than the electric field inside the sphere. This is because the electric field inside the sphere is affected by the charge distribution of the sphere, while the electric field outside is only affected by the total charge of the sphere.