Expression for magnitude of magnetic force

In summary, the force exerted on a particle with charge q moving with velocity v near a long, straight wire with current I and magnetic field strength B can be expressed as F = qvBsin(theta), where θ is the angle between the velocity vector and the magnetic field vector.
LivvyS

Homework Statement

A particle with charge q moves with velocity v near a long, straight wire which has a current I flowing through it which generates magnetic field B. Give an expression for the magnitude of the force on this particle in terms of q, v = | v | and the magnitude of the magnetic field strength B. Make sure you define any other variables that you introduce.

Homework Equations

F = q(v x B)

The Attempt at a Solution

Could it be as simple as just quoting F = q(v x B)? I feel as though I may be missing something as this would seem a little too straight forward.

Cheers guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
no, that writes it in terms of the velocity vector and the magnetic field vector.
They want you to write it in terms of the scalar speed and the magnetic field strength (scalar).
(hint: you WILL need to introduce a new variable that you'll need to define)

Thanks a lot for the reply!
Is it somehow related to the formula for magnetic field strength at a given distance from a wire: B= [PLAIN]http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/pimg170.gifi / 2pi r? I am struggling to see from my books what else could be relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
they don't want your "Making B" equation ... that would write the Force in terms of I, not B.
what does that little "x" in your formula mean?

Ahh so you could take the dot product rather than the cross product of the vectors and theta would be the new variable?

multiplication of scalars is not really a "dot product", it is simply multiplication.
A "dot product" multiplies the parallel components of 2 vectors, yielding a scalar.
This "cross product" multiplies the 2 vectors' perpendicular components, yielding a 3rd (perp) vector.

This is what I got, would appreciate some input:

F = qvBsin(theta)

yes, good ... but since θ is a new variable, you need to define it (as they explicitly stated)

Related to Expression for magnitude of magnetic force

1. What is the expression for magnitude of magnetic force?

The expression for magnitude of magnetic force is given by F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

2. How is the magnitude of magnetic force calculated?

The magnitude of magnetic force can be calculated using the expression F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of magnetic force?

The magnitude of magnetic force is affected by the charge of the particle, its velocity, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

4. How does the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field affect the magnitude of magnetic force?

The magnitude of magnetic force is directly proportional to the sine of the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field. This means that as the angle increases, the magnitude of magnetic force decreases.

5. Can the magnitude of magnetic force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of magnetic force can be negative. This happens when the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of motion of the charged particle.