Exterior differential (show that d(dX)=0)

In summary, exterior differential is a mathematical operation used in differential geometry and multivariable calculus to describe the change of a function or form between two points in a space. It is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function or form with respect to each variable and summing them together using the wedge product. Its purpose is to describe the change of a function or form in a space and to solve differential equations in multiple variables. Showing that d(dX)=0 means the exterior differential of a function or form is equal to zero, known as the nilpotency of exterior differential. It can be applied in various mathematical contexts, such as differential geometry, multivariable calculus, and physics.
osc

Homework Statement

Let X be a k-form, that is
[tex]X \in \wedge ^k \textbf{T}^*(p),\ \ p*\in \mathbb{R}^n[/tex]

Show that d(dX)=0.

Homework Equations

For a k-form X of class Cr

[tex]dX=\frac{1}{k!} \frac{\partial X_{1...k}}{\partial x^r} dx^r \wedge dx^1 \wedge ... \wedge dx^k[/tex]

where
[tex]X_{1...k}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}\cdot\cdot\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial x^1}f(\textbf{x}).[/tex]

First I'd like to ask few clarifying questions.

1) What if the class is C. In the above formula, what is in the place of the index r, that is, what are

[tex]dx^r \mbox{and}\ \partial x^r[/tex]

2) If I have a two form in R^4 , say

[tex]X = X_{31}\ dx^3 \wedge dx^1[/tex]

Then what about now?

[tex]dX=\frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial X_{31}}{\partial x^r} dx^r \wedge dx^3 \wedge ... \wedge dx^1[/tex]

What is r? Is it 2,4, or what?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so my k-form is

[tex]X=\frac{1}{k!} X_{1...k}\ dx^1 \wedge ... \wedge dx^k[/tex]

and

[tex]dX=\frac{1}{k!} \frac{\partial X_{1...k}}{\partial x^r} dx^r \wedge dx^1 \wedge ... \wedge dx^k[/tex]

so

[tex]d(dX)=\frac{1}{k!} \frac{\partial X_{1...kr}}{\partial x^s} dx^s \wedge dx^r \wedge dx^1 \wedge ... \wedge dx^k \ \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex]

But as

[tex]dx^n \wedge dx^m = - dx^m \wedge dx^n[/tex]

I thought that the equation (1) above is

[tex]=\ -\ \frac{1}{k!} \frac{\partial X_{1...ks}}{\partial x^r} dx^r \wedge dx^s \wedge dx^1 \wedge ... \wedge dx^k[/tex]

Or is it

[tex]=\ -\ \frac{1}{k!} \frac{\partial X_{1...kr}}{\partial x^s} dx^r \wedge dx^s \wedge dx^1 \wedge ... \wedge dx^k[/tex]

I'm guessing I could somehow change the order of differentation and use that to show that ddX=0

Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

To answer your first question, if the class is C∞, then the index r would just be a dummy index and it wouldn't matter what value it takes on. So you can just choose any value for r.

For your second question, in the case of a two form in R^4, r would be equal to 2. So the correct formula for dX would be:

dX=\frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial X_{31}}{\partial x^2} dx^2 \wedge dx^3 \wedge dx^1

As for your attempt at a solution, you are on the right track. In order to show that d(dX)=0, you can use the fact that the exterior derivative operator d is nilpotent, meaning that d^2=0. This means that any form dX can be written as d(dX)=0. So if you can show that d(dX)=0 for any k-form X, then you have proven that d(dX)=0 for all k-forms. You can use this fact to rearrange the terms in equation (1) and show that they cancel out, thus proving that d(dX)=0.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is exterior differential?

Exterior differential, denoted as d, is a mathematical operation used in differential geometry and multivariable calculus to describe the change of a function or form between two points in a space.

2. How is exterior differential calculated?

The exterior differential of a function or form is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function or form with respect to each variable, and then summing them together using the wedge product.

3. What is the purpose of exterior differential?

The purpose of exterior differential is to describe the change of a function or form in a space, and to provide a way to integrate or solve differential equations in multiple variables.

4. What does it mean to show that d(dX)=0?

Showing that d(dX)=0 means that the exterior differential of the exterior differential of a function or form is equal to zero. This property is known as the nilpotency of exterior differential.

5. Can exterior differential be applied in any context?

Yes, exterior differential can be applied in various mathematical contexts, such as differential geometry, multivariable calculus, and physics, to represent the change of a function or form in a space.