Is the external magnetic plane of an NMR pronounced as B sub zero or B initial?

In summary, an external magnetic plane is an area in space where magnetic forces can be observed and measured, created by moving electric charges. It can affect the movement and orientation of magnetic objects and interact with electric currents. It can be shielded using materials like iron or nickel and measured in units of Tesla or Gauss. Practical applications include technology, medical devices, navigation systems, and studying the Earth's magnetic field.
Ajeezy
I know the external magnetic plane of a machine such as an NMR is denoted as B_0_ but is that pronounced by B sub zero or B initial?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ajeezy! :wink:

I always pronounce it "B zero". :smile:

Thanks tiny tim. I felt that b initial was right but I've been reading into and b zero or b sub zero seems correct. Thanks again

1. What is an external magnetic plane?

An external magnetic plane, also known as a magnetic field, is an area in space where magnetic forces can be observed and measured. It is created by moving electric charges and can be produced naturally by the Earth or artificially by man-made objects.

2. How does an external magnetic plane affect objects?

The strength and direction of the magnetic field can affect the movement and orientation of magnetic objects, such as compass needles or metal objects. It can also interact with electric currents and cause them to move or generate an electromagnetic force.

3. Can an external magnetic plane be shielded?

Yes, external magnetic fields can be shielded or redirected by using materials such as iron, nickel, or alloys that are highly permeable to magnetic fields. This is commonly seen in the design of MRI machines to protect the surrounding area from strong magnetic forces.

4. How is an external magnetic plane measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). This can be done using a magnetometer, which is a device that can detect and measure the intensity of a magnetic field. Other methods include using a compass to determine the direction of the field or using the Hall effect to measure the strength of the field.

5. What are the practical applications of external magnetic planes?

External magnetic fields have a wide range of practical applications. They are used in technology such as motors, generators, and speakers. They are also used in medical devices like MRI machines and in navigation systems, such as compasses and GPS. Additionally, magnetic fields are important for studying the Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of charged particles in space.