Extracting a matrix from a curl operation

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of extracting a 3x3 matrix [A] from a curl operation and determining the value of tensor [C]. It is concluded that there is no general solution for [C] and the only known solution is when A is a scalar multiple of the identity matrix.
KrayzBlu
Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible (and the solution, if known, please!) to extract a 3x3 matrix [A] from a curl operation. Specifically, if B is a 3x1 (column) vector,

∇x([A]B) = [C](∇xB)

What is the value of tensor [C]? Would [C] be a 3x3 matrix as well, or a different rank tensor? Can I express [C] in terms of [A]?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations are linear, I think you can just take individual components of [A] and see if it works.

Hi mfb,

I've tried that, and unfortunately come up with no solution. I'm wondering of there's some sort of mathemagical trick I've never heard of :)

Thanks

What did you get as attempt for
A=
1 0 0
0 0 0
0 0 0

and
A=
0 0 0
1 0 0
0 0 0
?

If both give some corresponding C, it works (based on linearity and symmetry), otherwise it does not work for general matrices A (trivial).

mfb said:
If both give some corresponding C, it works (based on linearity and symmetry), otherwise it does not work for general matrices A (trivial).

They don't give the same result, so I guess there is no general solution. Am I correct in interpreting that this also means that any variation of A cannot be solved for? (For example, if A were diagonal).

Thanks

The same result? They should not give the same result. Different results are fine.

Sorry, to clarify, I meant that inserting your suggested [A] matrices both do not give a valid solution for [C]. I'm concluding that if these simple matrices can't be solved for, then it is correct that there is no solution.

Thanks

Okay, I checked it, and there is no solution. It does not work for general matrices A, and I am not sure if there are any solutions apart from the trivial one (A=a*identity matrix).

1. What is a curl operation?

A curl operation is a mathematical operation in vector calculus that takes a vector field as input and produces a new vector field as output. It is used to measure the rotation or "curl" of a vector field at a given point.

2. How do you extract a matrix from a curl operation?

To extract a matrix from a curl operation, you first need to represent the vector field as a matrix. This can be done by writing the components of the vector field as rows or columns in a matrix. Then, you can apply the curl operation to the matrix representation to obtain the matrix of the curl operation.

3. What is the significance of extracting a matrix from a curl operation?

The matrix extracted from a curl operation is known as the curl matrix or the Jacobian matrix. It is a fundamental tool in vector calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in physics and engineering. It represents the local behavior of a vector field and can be used to calculate important quantities such as circulation and vorticity.

4. What are some applications of extracting a matrix from a curl operation?

The curl matrix extracted from a curl operation has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used in fluid dynamics to model the motion of fluids, in electromagnetism to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and in computer graphics to simulate realistic animations of fluids and fabrics.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in extracting a matrix from a curl operation?

One limitation of extracting a matrix from a curl operation is that it only applies to vector fields in three dimensions. It also requires a good understanding of vector calculus and matrix operations, which can be challenging for those who are not familiar with these concepts. Additionally, the resulting matrix can be complex and difficult to interpret, especially for more complex vector fields.