Extracting information of data in column format using C++

In summary, using the >> operator you can read data until it reaches a blank space, and the >> operator can be used with cin or any istream.
Leonardo Machado
Hello friends, how are you ?

Today's question is: How do i choose the data i want to extract from a file in c++ ?

I have this data file in columns format, something like:

Code:
x      y      z
1      2      3
4      5      6
7      8      9

I know there is the command file.getline() , and this command can be manipulated to get the string the size i want, but there is a way of skip the space between the numbers and catch only the data of the second column?

And plus, there are any way to get it not in str format ? but in a float or a double format ?

Thanks for the tips :wink:

Technology news on Phys.org
What about the >> operator?

DrClaude said:
What about the >> operator?

Could you give any example of using >> ?
It works like cin, right ? But how do i command it to get information of an specific line and column ?

Leonardo Machado said:
Could you give any example of using >> ?
It works like cin, right ? But how do i command it to get information of an specific line and column ?
It works with cin. or any istream. Each >> will read data until it reaches a blank space, so columns are easy to take care of.

I'm sure you can find good examples online.

Likes Leonardo Machado
DrClaude said:
It works with cin. or any istream. Each >> will read data until it reaches a blank space, so columns are easy to take care of.

I'm sure you can find good examples online.

Got it, thanks mate, it worked for me.

Just for finishing, how do i reset the command ? For start to read the first line again ?

Leonardo Machado said:
Just for finishing, how do i reset the command ? For start to read the first line again ?
Close the file and open it again. The position-in-file pointer will now be at the start of the file.

The C standard library (as opposed to the C++ Standard Library) has a rewind() function. With this function you don't have to close and then reopen the file.

The C++ basic_filebuf class has a seekpos() function. You can use it to move the position-in-file pointer to a selected location in the file -- to the beginning or to the end, or to some point within the file. There is also a seekoff() function that can be used for a similar purpose.

Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest and Leonardo Machado
Mark44 said:
Close the file and open it again. The position-in-file pointer will now be at the start of the file.

The C standard library (as opposed to the C++ Standard Library) has a rewind() function. With this function you don't have to close and then reopen the file.

The C++ basic_filebuf class has a seekpos() function. You can use it to move the position-in-file pointer to a selected location in the file -- to the beginning or to the end, or to some point within the file. There is also a seekoff() function that can be used for a similar purpose.

Thanks for the attentions, Mark44 and DrClaude. I'm grateful.

Personally, I'd read the entire thing into a buffer, then parse it into a data structure. That way you can later do something like:

Code:
item = chart.x(0);

1. What is the purpose of extracting information from data in column format using C++?

The purpose of extracting information from data in column format using C++ is to organize and manipulate large amounts of data in a structured manner. This allows for easier analysis and processing of the data, which can lead to better insights and decision making.

2. How do I extract data from a specific column using C++?

To extract data from a specific column using C++, you can use the ifstream class to read in the data from a file. Then, you can use the getline() function to read in each line of data. You can use the substr() function to extract the data from the specific column based on the column index.

3. Can I extract data from multiple columns at once using C++?

Yes, you can extract data from multiple columns at once using C++. You can use a loop to iterate through each line of data, and then use the substr() function to extract the data from each desired column based on their respective column indexes.

4. Are there any libraries or packages in C++ that can assist with extracting data from column format?

Yes, there are several libraries and packages available in C++ that can assist with extracting data from column format. Some popular ones include the boost::tokenizer class and the CSVParser library.

5. What are some best practices for extracting information from data in column format using C++?

Some best practices for extracting information from data in column format using C++ include properly defining and initializing variables, using loops and conditional statements for efficient data extraction, and handling any errors or exceptions that may occur during the extraction process.