Can space lasers power aircraft with unlimited range?

In summary, this thruster would use electric heating to create thrust. It is a hybrid concept that combines a propeller/turbine with a combustion/heating section.
GurfX
My knowledge suggests when gasses are heated rapidly, they also expand due to the new energy in the gas.

Is it possible to create a thruster that is able to lift 10kg via electric heating?

The thruster would allow cold air to enter the chamber, where it would then be super-heated & ejected as thrust through a valve.

Let's say the thruster weighs 5kg & it must lift 10kg. Is this possible? i

Physics news on Phys.org
What you describe is basically an electrically powered jet engine. It's probably possible, but I don't think it has been done before.

Yeah, it would be a fun exercise to calculate the amount of thrust you could get with such an electric super-heater, versus using the same amount of electricity to drive an electric motor and propeller arrangement...

berkeman said:
Yeah, it would be a fun exercise to calculate the amount of thrust you could get with such an electric super-heater, versus using the same amount of electricity to drive an electric motor and propeller arrangement...
Hahaha I'm not sure if that was sarcastic, but I would like to find out.

GurfX said:
Hahaha I'm not sure if that was sarcastic, but I would like to find out.
No, not meant as sarcasm at all. I'd suspect that the efficiency of the motor+propeller would be much higher, but you'd need to do the calculations to find out for sure.

berkeman said:
No, not meant as sarcasm at all. I'd suspect that the efficiency of the motor+propeller would be much higher, but you'd need to do the calculations to find out for sure.

Well I was thinking of a hybrid concept which uses a propeller/turbine to drive in air through a valve, which would then super-heat the gas & exhaust it.

GurfX said:
Well I was thinking of a hybrid concept which uses a propeller/turbine to drive in air through a valve, which would then super-heat the gas & exhaust it.
The propeller/compressor is before the combusion/heating section and the turbine has to be after combustion/heating section. It's a jet engine.

Likes berkeman
NASA has done work on engines using alternative heat sources. A most interesting application was in aircraft using laser beams from solar power satellites as the heat source for the engine.
The work was summarized in a NASA symposium on radiant energy conversion in space, which sketched out aircraft concepts using space laser power for essentially unlimited range/endurance.

1. What is an extreme heat/plasma thruster?

An extreme heat/plasma thruster is a type of propulsion system that uses extremely high temperatures and ionized gases (plasma) to generate thrust and propel a spacecraft or satellite. It is a popular technology used in modern space exploration and satellite operations.

2. How does an extreme heat/plasma thruster work?

An extreme heat/plasma thruster works by heating a gas (usually xenon) to extremely high temperatures, causing it to ionize and become plasma. This plasma is then accelerated through an electromagnetic field and expelled out of the thruster at high speeds, creating the necessary thrust for propulsion.

3. What are the advantages of using an extreme heat/plasma thruster?

Extreme heat/plasma thrusters have several advantages over traditional chemical thrusters. They are more efficient, allowing for longer and more precise missions. They also have a higher specific impulse (a measure of how efficiently a propellant is used) and a greater thrust-to-weight ratio, making them ideal for deep space missions.

4. What are the limitations of extreme heat/plasma thrusters?

One limitation of extreme heat/plasma thrusters is their high energy consumption. They require a significant amount of power to generate the extreme heat and electromagnetic fields needed for propulsion. Another limitation is their low thrust, which makes them unsuitable for quick maneuvers or launch from Earth's surface.

5. Are extreme heat/plasma thrusters the future of space propulsion?

While extreme heat/plasma thrusters have shown great promise in space exploration, they are not yet considered the future of space propulsion. There are still challenges to overcome, such as finding more efficient ways to generate the necessary heat and power. However, ongoing research and development in this field make it a promising technology for future space missions.