What is the solution to this puzzling brain teaser?

• Thread starter jmckennon
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation involves a problem with a brain teaser that uses the standard Normal probability distribution and a power series expansion. The person is asking for help in showing that the series is an anti-derivative of the given function and is unsure of how many terms to differentiate. They have brought the problem to their calculus 3 teacher for assistance.
jmckennon
I have been looking at this problem for quite some time and have been unable to figure out how to approach it.

the problem is in the attachment. It's from a brain teaser that my teacher gave us in class and it's so puzzling that I need to know how to do it. Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is the standard Normal probability distribution and a power series expansion for it. You want to show that the series is, in fact, an anti-derivative of the given function. To do that, differentiate the series term by term.

How many terms should i differentiate the series too? I brought the problem to my calculus 3 teacher and she was puzzled by it as well.

Find the series representation of the antiderivative and sum it out until you see a correspondence in the two expansions.

What does it mean for something to be extremely difficult?

Something that is extremely difficult is characterized by being very challenging and requiring a great deal of effort, skill, or knowledge to accomplish successfully.

What are some examples of extremely difficult tasks or concepts?

Examples of extremely difficult tasks or concepts can include solving complex mathematical equations, performing delicate surgeries, or understanding advanced theoretical physics.

What factors contribute to something being extremely difficult?

The level of difficulty for a task or concept can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the complexity of the subject matter, the amount of skill or expertise required, and the level of effort or time needed to complete it.

How can one overcome the challenges of something that is extremely difficult?

To overcome the challenges of an extremely difficult task or concept, one can break it down into smaller, more manageable steps, seek guidance or support from experts or mentors, and consistently practice and improve their skills and knowledge.

What are the potential benefits of tackling something that is extremely difficult?

While it may be daunting, taking on something that is extremely difficult can lead to personal growth, a sense of accomplishment, and the development of new skills and knowledge that can be applied to future challenges.