Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extremely difficult

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    I have been looking at this problem for quite some time and have been unable to figure out how to approach it.

the problem is in the attachment. It's from a brain teaser that my teacher gave us in class and it's so puzzling that I need to know how to do it. Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you have is the standard Normal probability distribution and a power series expansion for it. You want to show that the series is, in fact, an anti-derivative of the given function. To do that, differentiate the series term by term.

4. Dec 4, 2008 #3
    How many terms should i differentiate the series too? I brought the problem to my calculus 3 teacher and she was puzzled by it as well.

5. Apr 6, 2011 #4
    Find the series representation of the antiderivative and sum it out until you see a correspondence in the two expansions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?