Solving f(f(x)) = exp(x): What is f(x)?

• Thread starter Blouge
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a function f(x) that satisfies the functional equation f(f(x)) = exp(x). The participants explore different ways of approaching the problem, including using a method in a book called "Bypasses" and developing a power series. The conversation also touches on the idea of choosing a bijection between intervals to define f(x) piecewise and the potential challenges of finding a "nice" and differentiable overall solution. They also discuss the existence of complex fixed points for the exponential function.
Blouge
If f(f(x)) = exp(x), then what is f(x)?

I don't think that f(x) can be an entire function. It would be nice to have f(x) be monotonically increasing for positive x. I tried to attack this problem by using a method in the book "Bypasses", and it works, but it involves numerical calculation of a power series and reversion of the series, and applying the two power series together, and seems very inelegant and I'm not even sure if it will converge.

Physics news on Phys.org
if f(x) has inverse, then you can get it in high school, I think.

Isn't it enough to simply pick some a < 0, choose f to be a bijection from [-inf, a) to [a, 0), and then extend f by the functional equation?

Last edited:
>if f(x) has inverse, then you can get it in high school, I think.

I'm trying to find out a more direct way of expressing the unknown function f(x) -- not focusing on a particular value of x or known function f.

>choose f to be a bijection

Yes, the whole problem is how to "choose" f that satisfies the functional equation.

Here is one idea on how to progress,

f(f(a)) = exp(a) = a, at certain constants a; one such number being ln ln ln ln ... ln -1.

Therefore

(f^2n)(a) = a for n = 0, 1, 2...

and it's reasonable to insist that

(f^z)(a) = a for any complex number z

Differentiating the function equation gives

f(f(x)) = exp(x) = d/dx exp(x) = f'(x) f'(f(x))
f(f(a)) = a f'(a) f'(f(a))

So that f(a) = a, f'(a) = a^0.5

I can see developing this into a power series expanded about a. Not sure what the radius of convergence is, or if it gives "nice" positive numbers for positive arguments.

Last edited:
Blouge said:
Yes, the whole problem is to "choose" f that satisfies the functional equation.
I claim it's not a problem: any choice works. Even better, if you choose the bijection of [-inf, a) with [a, 0) to be monotone, then the resulting f is monotone.

>I claim it's not a problem: any choice works.

Um, f(x) = x + 3 is not a good choice: x + 3 + 3 = exp(x)?

I'm trying to find a choice that satisfies the equation.

What a did you choose? And f(x) = x+3 is not a bijection from [-inf, a) to [a, 0) for any choice of a.

>And f(x) = x+3 is not a bijection from [-inf, a) to [a, 0) for any choice of a.

How about a = -1 and f(x) = -1 - 1/x? I don't see where that gets you.

Going back to the power series idea (where the constant a i used is ln ln ln ... -1 )

d^2/(dx)^2 f(f(x)) = f''(x) f'(f(x)) + f'(x)^2 f''(f(x))
a = f''(a) f'(a) + f'(a)^2 f''(a) = f''(a)[ f'(a) + f'(a)^2] = f''(a)[ a^0.5 + a]
f''(a) = 1/(1+a^-0.5)

So

f(x) = a + (x - a) a^-0.5 + (x - a)^2 / [(1 + a^-0.5) * 2!] + ...

Last edited:
Blouge said:
How about a = -1 and f(x) = -1 - 1/x?
Okay, so that's how f is defined on [-inf, -1). Now use the functional equation to figure out what f should be on [-1, 0)...

>Okay, so that's the piece of f defined on [-inf, -1). Now use the functional equation to figure out what f should be on [-1, 0)...

I guess, for y on [-1,0) you can say that f(y) = exp(-1/(1+y)):

f(f(x)) = exp(x)
f(y) = exp(f^-1(y))
f(y) = exp(-1/(1+y))

I think that's right. And then you can figure out what the value of f should be on [0, e^a)...

Basically, I'm trying to define f(x) piecewise. I know that f(f(-inf)) = 0, so I choose some value
f(-inf) = a
and then I immediately know that i have to choose
f(a) = 0, f(0) = e^a, f(e^a) = 1, et cetera. Eyeballing this sequence, it appears plausible I can repeat this procedure if I start with any arbitrary increasing bijection [-inf, a) --> [a, 0), and maybe even with any bijection.

I see now. Thanks Hurkyl!

For [-inf,a), f(x) = f0(x) = a - aa/x
For [a,0), f(x) = f1(x) = exp(f0^-1(x)) = exp(aa / (a - x))
For [0,exp(a)), f(x) = f2(x) = exp(f1^-1(x)) = exp( a - aa / ln x )
For [exp(a), exp(exp(a))), f(x) = f3(x) = exp(f2^-1(x)) = ...
etc...

The only problem is that there's a lot of arbitrariness and its piecewise, and I wonder if it can be a "nice" (differentiable) function. And also satisfy f(c) = c for constants c where exp(c) = c.

On the other hand, my power series probably doesn't converge very well, and there are many constants c to choose to expand about. I wonder if it could help suggest a nice bijection.

It seems like a rather unnatural problem overall.

Last edited:
Well, if you have additional constraints on f, you can attempt to translate those into conditions on your original choices. You could easily get f to be infintiely differentiable (even analytic!) on the interior of each interval, and it's easy enough to make it infintiely differentiable at a. Does that imply it's everywhere differentiable?

exp doesn't have a fixed point, but if it did, I think the method I described would never reach c: it would define a function [-inf,c) to [-inf,c). You would have to make another choice to get an entire function.

>exp doesn't have a fixed point

There are complex, not real, fixed points. If you take -1 (or some other starting point) and apply the ln function repeatedly, it converges to some complex number c for which exp(c) = c. You can find infinitely many other fixed points by applying (2Npi + ln) instead of ln.

Related to Solving f(f(x)) = exp(x): What is f(x)?

1. What is the function f(x)?

The function f(x) is a mathematical expression that takes an input value (x) and produces an output value based on the rules defined by the function. In the equation f(f(x)) = exp(x), f(x) represents the inner function that is being applied to the output of f(x) and exp(x) represents the exponential function.

2. How do you solve f(f(x)) = exp(x)?

To solve this equation, you can use a technique called composition of functions. First, substitute f(x) with a variable, such as y, to get the equation y = f(y). Then, substitute this value of y into the original equation to get f(y) = exp(x). From here, you can solve for f(y) and then substitute the value back in for y to get the final solution for f(x).

3. What is the purpose of solving f(f(x)) = exp(x)?

Solving this equation can help us understand the behavior of the functions involved and find the relationship between them. It can also help us find the specific values of x and y that satisfy the equation, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

4. Are there any specific techniques or methods to solve this type of equation?

Yes, there are various techniques that can be used to solve equations involving composition of functions. Some common methods include substitution, elimination, and graphing. The specific method used may depend on the complexity of the equation and the available tools or resources.

5. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for this equation to have multiple solutions. Depending on the functions involved, there may be more than one value of x that satisfies the equation f(f(x)) = exp(x). It is important to carefully check the solutions and make sure they are valid for the given equation.