Find (f of g)' at x=0: (6u)/(u^2+5) where u=4x^2+5x+1 and g'(x)=8x+5

• Thread starter b0mberman
  • Start date
In summary, the value of (f of g)' at x=0 is 10/3. The method used was the application of the chain rule to f and g, followed by finding the derivative of (f of g) and plugging in the given value for x. A previous incorrect method using the quotient rule also resulted in the correct answer, but the correct method is using the chain rule.
b0mberman
1.Question
Find the value of (f of g)' at the given value of x.
f(u)= (6u)/(u^2+5)
u=g(x)=4x^2+5x+1
x=0

2. The attempt at a solution
f'(u) = (6u) x -1(u^2+5)^(-2) x 2u + (u^2+5)^(-1) x 6
'= -12u^2 x (u^2+5)^(-2) + 6(u^2+5)^(-1)

g'(x) = 8x+5
g'(0) = 5

(f of g)'(0) = -12(5)^2 x (5^2 + 5)^(-2) + 6(5^2+5)^(-1)
= (-12x25)/900 + 6/30
= (-300/900) + 180/900 = -2/15

Correct answer: 10/3

Thank you ahead of time, I have been working on this simple calculus question for at least 2 hours and just can not get the right answer. I am guessing it is a simple mathematical error in the differentiating somewhere so I have posted it here so hopefully someone could point it out.

Thank you, b0mberman

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the chain rule

f(g(x))' = f'(g(x)) * g(x)

I have if you did not notice I applied chain rule to f than to g then did (f of g), unless you mean something else

[tex]f'(u) = \frac{-6(u^-5)}{(x^2+5)^2[/tex] -- I think you might've applied the quotient rule incorrectly :-/

[tex]g(0) = 1[/tex]

[tex]g'(x) = 8x+5[/tex]

It's f'(g(0)) so,

(f o g)' = f'(1)*g'(0), right?

Last edited:
Yes, but where did f'(1) come from? Sorry...

Well it's

f'(g(x))*g'(x)

and g(0) = 1 so it's f'(1)*g'(0)

OK I see now, I was just thinking of that after your first post(where the 1 came from), OK I understand now. I did not do (f of g)' right. Thank you very much!

P.S.
The funny thing is I used the same method for the problem before(the wrong method) and it came out right! f(u) = u^7 + 8
u=g(x)=4x^2 +5x+1, x=0

Related to Find (f of g)' at x=0: (6u)/(u^2+5) where u=4x^2+5x+1 and g'(x)=8x+5

1. What does (f of g)' (0) represent?

(f of g)' (0) represents the derivative of the composite function f(g(x)) evaluated at x = 0.

2. How do you solve for (f of g)' (0)?

To solve for (f of g)' (0), you can use the chain rule and the product rule to find the derivative of f(g(x)) with respect to x. Then, plug in x = 0 to evaluate the derivative at that point.

3. Why is it important to find (f of g)' (0)?

By finding (f of g)' (0), you can determine the rate of change of the composite function f(g(x)) at a specific point, which can be useful in many applications, such as optimization problems or curve fitting.

4. Can (f of g)' (0) be negative?

Yes, (f of g)' (0) can be negative. The sign of the derivative depends on the behavior of the composite function f(g(x)) at x = 0. If the composite function is decreasing at x = 0, then the derivative will be negative.

5. How does the value of (f of g)' (0) change if the order of functions f and g is switched?

The value of (f of g)' (0) will not change if the order of functions f and g is switched. This is because the chain rule for derivatives takes into account the order of functions in the composite function, and the derivative at x = 0 will remain the same regardless of the order of functions.