F(x) = sin(-3x) increase decrease intervals

In summary, the increase intervals of f(x) = sin(-3x) are -\pi/6 + 2/3\pi*k < x < \pi/6 + 2/3\pi*k. When plotting sin(-3x), this interval is actually the decrease one because sin(-3x) = -sin(3x). This means that if sin(x) is increasing, then -sin(x) is decreasing and vice versa. This was confirmed by the correction of an error in the textbook's solutions sheet.
vaze
Hi everyone.

Could anyone help me solve this. I need to find the increase and decrease intervals of f(x) = sin(-3x).

The increase intervals of sin(x) are [itex]-\pi/2 + 2\pi*k < x < \pi/2 + 2\pi*k[/itex]

Is the following the right way to solve my problem (for increase intervals)? [itex]-\pi/2 + 2\pi*k < -3x < \pi/2 + 2\pi*k[/itex]
By multiplying by -3 you get: [itex]-\pi/6 + 2/3\pi*k < x < \pi/6 + 2/3\pi*k[/itex] (1)

Although when plotting sin(-3x) this interval (1) is the decrease one. Why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sin(-3x)=-sin(3x). Work with this form, since you don't have to work with things going in opposite directions.

How would you use sin(x) = -sin(x) in this problem?

vaze said:
How would you use sin(x) = -sin(x) in this problem?
If sin(x) is increasing then -sin(x) is decreasing, vice versa.

Yes, thank you. I have already solved it this way. My textbook had an error in the solutions sheet. They just solved the double inequality and did not exchange the increase and decrease intervals.

What is the equation F(x) = sin(-3x)?

The equation F(x) = sin(-3x) represents a sinusoidal function that has a negative coefficient of the independent variable, resulting in a reflection over the y-axis. The value of -3 in front of x indicates that the period of the function is three times shorter compared to the standard sine function, meaning it oscillates faster.

What does the negative sign in front of the coefficient mean in F(x) = sin(-3x)?

The negative sign in front of the coefficient (-3) indicates a reflection over the y-axis of the standard sine function. This results in a change in the direction of the graph and a phase shift of π radians, meaning the function starts at a different point on the x-axis.

How does the value of -3 affect the amplitude and period of F(x) = sin(-3x)?

The value of -3 affects the period of the function, making it three times shorter compared to the standard sine function. It does not affect the amplitude, which remains at 1 since the absolute value of the coefficient is still 3. However, the negative sign in front of the coefficient affects the direction of the graph, resulting in a reflection over the y-axis.

What are the increase intervals of F(x) = sin(-3x)?

The increase intervals of F(x) = sin(-3x) are any values of x where the function is increasing, meaning the graph is moving upwards. These intervals occur when the value of the function is positive. In this case, the increase intervals of F(x) = sin(-3x) are when x is between 0 and π/3, and between 2π/3 and π.

What are the decrease intervals of F(x) = sin(-3x)?

The decrease intervals of F(x) = sin(-3x) are any values of x where the function is decreasing, meaning the graph is moving downwards. These intervals occur when the value of the function is negative. In this case, the decrease intervals of F(x) = sin(-3x) are when x is between π/3 and 2π/3, and between π and 4π/3.