Understanding Factoring a Quadratic Equation: Common Mistakes and Solutions

In summary: So, to make up for that, you need to multiply by 2 on the other side of the equation. In summary, when expanding a factored form, you may not get the original equation because the factored form may have been divided by a coefficient, so you will need to multiply both sides by the same coefficient to get the original equation. When dealing with quadratic equations, you cannot apply the quadratic formula to only one side of the equation, as the formula requires the equation to be in a specific form with a non-zero coefficient for the squared term. The general form for a quadratic equation is y = ax^2 + bx + c, and for a cubic equation it is y = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx +
ainster31

Homework Statement

Question + attempt:

nhv7hUy.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is it that when I expand the factored form, I don't get the original equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
ainster31 said:

Homework Statement

Question + attempt:

nhv7hUy.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is it that when I expand the factored form, I don't get the original equation?
You get m2 + (3/2)m + 1 = 0, which is equivalent to the original equation. Just multiply both sides by 2.

Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
You get m2 + (3/2)m + 1 = 0, which is equivalent to the original equation. Just multiply both sides by 2.

Let's say we have $$2{ m }^{ 2 }+3m+1=60$$.

Would I be able to apply the quadratic formula to the left hand-side of the equation only?

ainster31 said:
Let's say we have $$2{ m }^{ 2 }+3m+1=60$$.

Would I be able to apply the quadratic formula to the left hand-side of the equation only?
No. The Quadratic Formula requires that your equation be in the form ax2 + bx + c = 0, with a ≠ 0.

How true is the below?

Oc8CsjI.png

ainster31 said:
How true is the below?

Oc8CsjI.png

What do you think? These look like textbook problems. Our policy here is that we don't do the work for students. Tell me what you think and why, and I'll tell you if you're right or where you went wrong.

Mark44 said:
What do you think? These look like textbook problems. Our policy here is that we don't do the work for students. Tell me what you think and why, and I'll tell you if you're right or where you went wrong.

They're not problems. They're statements that I wrote.

If I recall correctly, in the 10th grade, the teacher said the factored form of a quadratic equation is ##y=(x-r)(x-s)## and in the 11th grade, the teacher said the factored form of a cubic equation is ##y=(x-r)(x-s)(x-t)##. However, in the 11th grade, the teacher changed it to ##y=a(x-r)(x-s)(x-t)## later.

I don't understand why the cubic equation has the a coefficient and not the quadratic one.

Last edited:
ainster31 said:
They're not problems. They're statements that I wrote.

If I recall correctly, in the 10th grade, the teacher said the general form of a quadratic equation is ##y=(x-r)(x-s)## and in the 11th grade, the teacher said the general form of a cubic equation is ##y=(x-r)(x-s)(x-t)##.
The general form of a quadratic function is y = ax2 + bx + c. The right side of this can be written as a(x -r)(x -s). It's possible that r and s are complex numbers, though.
ainster31 said:
However, in the 11th grade, the teacher changed it to ##y=a(x-r)(x-s)(x-t)## later.
The general form of a cubic function is y = ax3 + bx2 + cx + d. The right side can be written in factored form as a(x - r)(x - s)(x - t), with possibly some of the roots being complex. Complex roots come in pairs, so we can't have more than two complex roots in a cubic equation.

Is there an example of a general quadratic equation where when factored, a is not 1?

Edit: Actually, never mind. Thanks.

Actually, my understanding still might be poor.

aTInkj3.png

2x2 - 2 = 0
==> 2(x2 - 1) = 0
==> 2(x - 1)(x + 1) = 0

The coefficient a that appears in ax2 + bx + c = 0 is exactly the same as the one that appears in a(x - r)(x - s).

BTW, you can use the quadratic formula for this equation, but it's not necessary. After removing the common factor to get 2(x2 - 1), I just factored the expression inside the parentheses, using the formula x2 - b2 = (x - b)(x + b).

For the problem in post #1, you have
2m2 + 3m + 2 = 0
==> 2(m2 + (3/2)m + 1) = 0
==> 2(m + 1)(m + 1/2) = 0

To go from the 2nd step to the 3rd, I factored, but you can also use the quadratic formula.

Note that 2(m + 1)(m + 1/2) = 0 and (m + 1)(m + 1/2) = 0 are equivalent equations. They both have exactly the same solutions.

Mark44 said:
Note that 2(m + 1)(m + 1/2) = 0 and (m + 1)(m + 1/2) = 0 are equivalent equations. They both have exactly the same solutions.

So what is the point of the a coefficient if you can always divide it out?

There's not really a point. a is just the coefficient of the squared term in a quadratic equation, just like be is the coefficient of the first degree term, and c is the constant.

Thanks for the help.

My confession is that I'm a second-year computer engineering student.

It's kind of sad. Factoring quadratic and cubic equations always bugged me. The original quadratic is from trying to solve an auxiliary equation of a differential equation. Lol

You need to multiply by 2, because when you were factoring, your formula was divided by 2.

1. What is factoring a quadratic equation?

Factoring a quadratic equation is the process of breaking down a quadratic equation into its factors, or expressions that can be multiplied together to get the original equation. This is done to solve the equation and find the values of x that make the equation true.

2. What are some common mistakes made when factoring a quadratic equation?

Some common mistakes include not properly identifying the type of quadratic equation (standard form, vertex form, etc.), not using the correct factoring method (e.g. difference of squares, grouping, etc.), and not checking the factored expression for accuracy.

3. How can I avoid making mistakes when factoring a quadratic equation?

To avoid mistakes, it is important to first identify the type of quadratic equation and then use the correct factoring method. It is also helpful to double check your work and make sure the factored expression satisfies the original equation.

4. What are some tips for factoring a quadratic equation?

One tip is to look for common factors first and then use the appropriate factoring method for the remaining expression. Another tip is to practice factoring frequently so that it becomes easier to recognize patterns and apply the correct methods.

5. How can I use factoring to solve a quadratic equation?

Factoring can be used to solve a quadratic equation by setting the factored expression equal to zero and then solving for the values of x that make the expression equal to zero. These values will be the solutions to the original quadratic equation.