1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorise p(x) as a product of linear factors

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you start by stating the rational root theorem, and what it says about the possible rational roots of the polynomial?

4. May 17, 2009 #3
    ok! i will try that. :smile:

5. May 17, 2009 #4
    After you find one root, I would use synthetic division to find the others.

But I guess it this case you really don't have to.

6. May 17, 2009 #5
  7. May 18, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The scan of your work is illegible. It appears that you did your work on graph paper, and possibly in pencil, making what you wrote very difficult to read.

8. May 18, 2009 #7
    Guesswork is a good thing in mathematics, but guesswork often need some kind of reasoning. Drawing a graph by hand / on computer is not guesswork in this case. You should come up with a more sophisticated way of showing what your guesswork builds on.

One way to go by, is to look at the last number in the polynom, and factorize that number, finding numbers that constitute 56. You would then get some of the roots you have come up with doing your "guesswork". After that, do polynom division. Or two.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook