Factorising a Cubic: An Easy Way?

• Thread starter tmonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the formula for the variance of a continuous uniform distribution and the use of Wolfram Alpha to factorize a cubic. The formula for variance is Var[x] = \int_a^b \! x^{2}f(x)\, \mathrm{d}x - \mu^{2}, and the correct formula is \frac{(b-a)^{2}}{12}. The conversation also mentions the use of algebraic division to factorize the cubic and the formula (a+b)^n=\sum_{k=0}^n{\binom{n}{k}a^kb^{n-k}} as a helpful tool. It is noted that factorizing a cubic is not always easy, but there
tmonk
I am attempting to derive the formula for the variance of a continuous uniform distribution where [tex]f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}
\frac{1}{b-a} & \mbox{$a \leq $x$ \leq b$};\\
0 & \mbox{otherwise}.\end{array} \right.[/tex]

I was successful, but only after using Wolfram Alpha to factorise the cubic.

By using [tex]Var[x] = \int_a^b \! x^{2}f(x)\, \mathrm{d}x - \mu^{2}[/tex]
I got this:[tex]\frac{b^{3} - a^{3} + 3a^{2}b - 3ab^{2}}{12(b-a)}[/tex]
The numerator just factorises to give (b-a)3, which gives the correct formula of [tex]\frac {(b-a)^{2}}{12}[/tex]

I tried using algebraic division to divide by the common factor of b-a, but I don't think I did it right. Is there an easy way to factorise the cubic?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You should remember the formula

[tex](a+b)^n=\sum_{k=0}^n{\binom{n}{k}a^kb^{n-k}}[/tex]

well. It will come in handy a lot of time...

That said, it's always possible to factorize a cubic, but it's not always easy. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_equation

tmonk said:
I tried using algebraic division to divide by the common factor of b-a, but I don't think I did it right. Is there an easy way to factorise the cubic?

Just for fun.
Here's the method to do algebraic division on polynomials. :smile:

Code:
b-a | b[SUP]3[/SUP] - 3ab[SUP]2[/SUP] + 3a[SUP]2[/SUP]b - a[SUP]3[/SUP] | b[SUP]2[/SUP] ...
      b[SUP]3[/SUP] -  ab[SUP]2[/SUP]
      ----------
          -2ab[SUP]2[/SUP] + 3a[SUP]2[/SUP]b
@MM: Hey ;)

1. What is factorising a cubic?

Factorising a cubic is the process of breaking down a cubic polynomial into its simplest factors. This is done by finding the roots, or solutions, of the cubic equation.

2. Why is it important to know how to factorise a cubic?

Factorising a cubic is important in solving various problems in mathematics and science. It can help in finding the x-intercepts of a cubic function, which are important in graphing and analyzing its behavior. It can also be used in simplifying complex algebraic expressions.

3. What is the easiest way to factorise a cubic?

One easy way to factorise a cubic is by using the rational root theorem. This theorem states that if a polynomial has integer coefficients, then any rational roots it may have must be in the form of p/q, where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient.

4. Can all cubics be factorised?

No, not all cubics can be factorised. Some cubics may have irrational or complex roots, which cannot be easily factored using integer coefficients. In these cases, other methods such as the quadratic formula or completing the square may be used to solve the equation.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for factorising a cubic?

One tip for factorising a cubic is to look for common factors before applying the rational root theorem. This can simplify the equation and make it easier to find the roots. Another trick is to use synthetic division to test possible roots and eliminate them if they do not result in a remainder of zero.