Fading Marker Ink: What's Happening?

• Thread starter Lim Y K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ink
In summary, the fading of ink on a piece of paper that was exposed to UV light is due to the bonds of the molecules responsible for the color being broken. This is because inks contain molecules that absorb part of the visible spectrum, causing the reflected light to not appear white. However, these molecules are also good absorbers of UV light, causing them to degrade rapidly. Pigment based inks typically fade slower than dye based inks. In some cases, airborne substances can also contribute to the fading of ink.
Lim Y K
I used Colour markers to write on a piece of paper and pasted the piece of paper on the wall. After a few weeks, I noticed the ink faded, or rather, became very faint that the words were almost illegible. Can anyone explain to me this phenomenon scientifically? Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
UV light is breaking the bonds of the molecules responsible for the color. Inks have color because they contain molecules (dyes) that absorb part of the visible spectrum, such that the reflected light doesn't appear white anymore. The downside is that these molecules are often also good absorbers of UV light, and they will degrade rapidly. This is especially true of red inks, which have to absorb in the blue-violet part of the spectrum to appear red.

The answer given by DrClaude is the most likely one, but some airborne substances can also decolorize inks. For example if you were to put your notes close to an open bleach bottle I would expect the ink to fade even in the dark. I doubt that's the case, though.

Just for info...Pigment based inks typically fade slower than dye based inks.

What is fading marker ink?

Fading marker ink refers to the ink used in markers that gradually loses its color intensity over time, resulting in a lighter and less visible mark.

Why does marker ink fade?

The main reason for marker ink fading is the chemical composition of the ink. Most marker inks are water-based and contain dyes or pigments that are not lightfast, meaning they are not resistant to fading when exposed to light and air.

How long does it take for marker ink to fade?

The time for marker ink to fade varies depending on the type and quality of the ink, as well as the environment it is exposed to. In general, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several years for marker ink to fade significantly.

Can fading marker ink be prevented?

Yes, there are ways to prevent marker ink from fading. One way is to use archival-quality markers that contain lightfast pigments. Another way is to store markers in a cool, dark place and avoid exposing them to direct sunlight or other sources of light.

Is fading marker ink harmful?

Fading marker ink is not harmful to humans, as it is primarily a cosmetic issue. However, it can be problematic for important documents or artwork that require long-term preservation. In these cases, it is best to use lightfast markers or take extra precautions to prevent fading.