Failing a physics class. Grad school?

In summary: I should have just stuck to electricity and magnetism.In summary, based on the information presented, a failing grade in a freshman physics class is not necessarily a show stopper when it comes to getting into a top 10 graduate school. However, if you want to compete for a spot in a top graduate school, you will need to do well in other courses as well.
leonidas24
I can think of at least one negative thing about having a physics final exam worth 60% of the overall grade. Namely, you can perform well year-round only to receive a bad case of test anxiety when it matters most. I just took such an exam, and am now almost certainly (>95% chance) going to fail the class. It is only a freshman physics class, but it will be on my record nonetheless. My question is, are my chances now completely shot as far as going to a top 10 grad school is concerned? My grades are otherwise good (not great), but if I perform exceedingly well over the next 3 years, in addition to meeting all of the other requirements (research, etc), do I still have a chance?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, it is just a freshman course so it isn't that reflective on your overall prefermonce. I mean there is still a lot Physics course you'll have to take...doing good on them will make them overlook your freshman course.

You're waaaaaay too paranoid. Don't even sweat it.

Quite the opposite responses I was expecting. So failing a subject in one's major, even if only a freshman class, doesn't automatically put me at the bottom of the pile? I always assumed an 'F' on a transcript is near automatic exclusion from the top programs.

you have to retake it right? so it won't kill your gpa anyway. grad schools will look at overall gpa, physics gpa, and your upper courses. They probably won't care if you failed a first year course, if you retook it and got an A.

How did you do well in the course but are sure to fail the final so bad as to fail the class?

Hepth said:
you have to retake it right? so it won't kill your gpa anyway. grad schools will look at overall gpa, physics gpa, and your upper courses. They probably won't care if you failed a first year course, if you retook it and got an A.

Yes, I will have to retake it. But I was under the impression that both the 'F' and subsequent grade would be included in my GPA.

whs said:
How did you do well in the course but are sure to fail the final so bad as to fail the class?

As I said, the final was worth 60% of the final grade so it can easily turn a solid grade into a failing one. I felt reasonably well prepared going into the exam, but for some reason I became immensely nervous just beforehand, and during the exam itself I wasn't able to think clearly, I got light-headed and nauseous, heart palpitations, etc. I basically just freaked out, and I have no idea why. Silly, I know.

leonidas24 said:
Quite the opposite responses I was expecting. So failing a subject in one's major, even if only a freshman class, doesn't automatically put me at the bottom of the pile? I always assumed an 'F' on a transcript is near automatic exclusion from the top programs.
Nah, in many/most cases there's no automatic exclusion based on one narrow criterion like that. Any one thing that you don't do well on can, in principle, be made up for by other things.

Well everyone on this thread is being optimistic right now. I'll be the first to say, its not going to help you that's for sure. Can anyone link to that thread where everyone listed their qualifications and what grad schools they got into? That was a real reality check for me.

On the other hand, the top 10 is overrated anyway.

As an added thought, I think the more immediate problem is dealing with the test anxiety. Graduate school application is years down the road. Between now and then there will be many more exams, some of them worth more than 60% of the final grade.

Not to mention once you get in you'll likely be faced with exams like the candidacy, the comprehensive, and your final defence.

Failing a single class is not a show stopper. But you're not going to be as competative as the students who fly through undergrad with near-perfect marks in every class.

Phyisab**** said:
Well everyone on this thread is being optimistic right now. I'll be the first to say, its not going to help you that's for sure. Can anyone link to that thread where everyone listed their qualifications and what grad schools they got into? That was a real reality check for me.

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1847

Yikes! That is a reality check. :frown:

Based on a cursory look over the applicant profiles, though, I think it's fair to conclude that attending a prestigious undergraduate school can make up for a GPA that is a tenth or two lower than perfect.

I am in a bad situation right now in my own freshman physics class. I never knew that mechanics could be so mind-numbingly hard. I'm also attending a well-known university, though, so I think that it's fair to say my classes are very difficult. At least not all hope is lost...

I heard DeVrY is starting a Physics Graduate program...

Just kidding.

Just re-take it, and everyone will keep it husu-hush about what happened.

I passed.

1. How will failing a physics class affect my chances of getting into grad school?

Failing a physics class can have a negative impact on your grad school application, as it may suggest that you do not have a strong foundation in the subject. However, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. They also look at your overall academic record, letters of recommendation, and other relevant experiences.

2. Can I still get into grad school if I retake the failed physics class and improve my grade?

Yes, retaking the failed physics class and improving your grade can demonstrate to admissions committees that you are determined and capable of overcoming challenges. However, it is important to also show improvement in other areas and address any underlying reasons for the initial failure.

3. Will failing a physics class impact my chances of getting funding for grad school?

Failing a physics class may affect your chances of receiving funding, as it may raise concerns about your ability to handle the coursework and research demands of a graduate program. However, there are other factors that funding committees consider, such as your research experience, potential for success, and future goals.

4. Should I retake the failed physics class or take a different physics course to show my proficiency?

This ultimately depends on your specific situation and the requirements of the grad school you are applying to. If the failed physics class is a prerequisite for the program, it may be necessary to retake it. However, if you have already fulfilled the prerequisite, taking a different physics course and excelling in it can also demonstrate your proficiency in the subject.

5. What steps can I take to improve my chances of getting into grad school after failing a physics class?

In addition to retaking the class and improving your grade, you can also focus on excelling in other relevant courses, gaining research experience, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. It may also be helpful to reflect on the reasons for your initial failure and demonstrate your dedication to improvement in your application materials.