Understanding and Solving Basic Algebraic Equations

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help in solving a math problem and receiving guidance on how to approach it step by step. They discuss the order of operations and the distributive law, and ultimately arrive at an answer of 10m - 50n. There is also a brief exchange about whether the conversation belongs in a homework forum or not.
Ottahhh
Hi, I'm having some trouble understanding how to tackle this question, I would appreciate it if some one could enlighten me on how to do this step by step and as in depth as possible.
It may seem simple to some, but I am fairly new to this sort of equation.

The equation is:
−5[−2(m − 3n) + 4n]

Josh, 13.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You want to get rid of the brackets, basically, remember the order of operations (BODMAS) - here's a refresher:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-bodmas.html

Just to get you started, let's do the first step:

-5[((-2 * m) + (-2 * -3n)) + 4n]

now, you should perform the multiplications inside the two inner brackets, which will leave you with -5[terms from expanded brackets], and you must multiply everything in those brackets by the -5

Ottahhh, we aren't allowed to just hand you the answer, but we can guide you step by step.

Oh, and −5[−2(m − 3n) + 4n] is not an equation. What you have there is an expression. An equation is "expression = expression".

another way of thinking about BODMAS/PEDMAS is "inside-out":

we want to get the "innermost" parentheses to go away first:

-5[-2(m - 3n) + 4n]

= -5[(-2)(m) - (-2)(n) + 4n]

which is a consequence of the distributive law

(the distributive law is your friend, give it some love).

to take the next step, you have to use "the rules of sign":

(-a)(-b) = ab
(-a)(b) = -ab
(a)(-b) = -ab
(a)(b) = ab

(sometimes recited as a chant:

"positive times positive is positive, positive times negative is negative, negative times positive is negative, negative times negative is positive"

ok, now just the people on the right:)

Okay, so after all your help, I think I have an answer.

How I got my answer:
I started by focusing on the middle, we have -2 (m-3n) + 4n, I'm going to go
-2 x - 3n, as deveno pointed out, 2 negative make a positive so -2 x - 3n = 6n, I'm then going to do -2 x m which will give me -2m so after them sums I have -2 (m + 3n) = -2m + 6n. I can't forget about the 4n so I must do [-2m + 6n + 4n] = [-2m + 10n]. I will then handle the -5, First off I must do -5 x -2m, 2 negatives give me a positive so I will get 10m as my answer. I must then do -5 x 10n which gives me -50n so after those 2 sums, I have -5[-2m + 10n] = 10m - 50n.
Therefore my answer is 10m - 50n, please inform me of If I have gone wrong somewhere along the lines and consequently my answer is wrong.

Josh

This isn't homework :p This is me having a genuine interest in learning new Mathematical methods.

Ottahhh said:
This isn't homework :p This is me having a genuine interest in learning new Mathematical methods.

Yes, but it doesn't really matter if it's homework or not. You're trying to solve math exercises, and such things always belong in the homework forum here.

micromass said:
Yes, but it doesn't really matter if it's homework or not. You're trying to solve math exercises, and such things always belong in the homework forum here.
As you wish (:

Related to Understanding and Solving Basic Algebraic Equations

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and describe relationships between variables.

2. What are the basic operations in algebra?

The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are used to solve equations and simplify expressions.

3. How do I solve for a variable in an algebraic equation?

To solve for a variable, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using the inverse operation of the given operation on both sides of the equation.

4. What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra is the same as in arithmetic: parentheses first, then exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (from left to right).

5. How can I check my answer in algebra?

You can check your answer by substituting the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and verifying that both sides of the equation are equal. You can also use a calculator to check your answer.