1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fairly basic integral failing to become solved. O:-)

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    "Fairly" basic integral failing to become solved. O:-)

Hi,

I'm having trouble with an integral where I simply do not know where to start. I just need a little nudge in the right direction. I've tried integration by parts and by substitution, but I'm really just stumbling in the dark and should obviously choose something in a more well-informed manner. If I could just get a nudge in the right direction I think that I can solve it. :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\int (x^2+z^2)^{-3/2}dx[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2
    Re: "Fairly" basic integral failing to become solved. O:-)

when you see a square root in your integrand, you will likely want to attempt trig substitution if there is no other obvious route.

There are 3 different trig substitutions possible based on the form under the root:

x = z * sin@
    x = z * tan@
    x = z * sec@

you should know which one to use based on that form.

tell us which is the correct substitution, and you should be able to solve it.

4. Apr 27, 2009 #3

I'll have a go at that, thank you very much.

5. Apr 27, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Try a trig substitution, tan u = x/z. Keep in mind that z^2 is a constant in this integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook