Falling Body Equation: Derivation & Meaning

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of an equation of motion for a falling body under the force of Earth's gravity. The process involves using differential equations and understanding the physical significance of the constants in the final solution. The equation is asking for the function for which the second derivative is equal to -g.
leehufford
Hello,

I don't think I really understand the derivation of an equation of motion for a falling body under the force of Earth's gravity... I'm a little ashamed by this. I haven't been able to find someone asking quite the same question as I am about to ask.

I completely understand that the acceleration of an object is the second derivative of its position, and than an accelerated body is not in equilibrium, so ∑F ≠ 0.

I've been able to get by but it's time I truly understand what is going on. From the perspective of differential equations the derivation starts with an expression:

md2s/dt2 = -mg. Then masses cancel to get d2s/dt2 = -g.

What are we actually saying by equating two forces? I just see ma = -ma. But what does this statement physically mean?

I feel safe asking such a basic question on this forum and I trust that people will only give positive feedback in this situation. If I failed to find an online resource that explains this on the level I am seeking it would not be insulting to simply point me there. Thanks in advance,

Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
leehufford said:
From the perspective of differential equations the derivation starts with an expression:

What are we actually saying by equating two forces?
Why do you think you are equating two forces? The only force is that of gravity, which equals -mg in your equation. The other side of the equation is mass times acceleration, from Newton's 2nd law.

leehufford said:

What are we actually saying by equating two forces? I just see ma = -ma. But what does this statement physically mean?

In that equation, ##g## is a constant while ##s## is a function of ##t##, the time. The equation is telling you that the second derivative of ##s(t)## is equal to ##-g## and asking you to find the function ##s(t)## for which that is true.

That's what makes it a differential equation, it's an equation for an unknown function instead of just an unknown variable like you find in regular algebra.

The solution happens to be ##s(t)=\frac{-1}{2}gt^2+At+B## where ##A## and ##B## are arbitrary constants. It's a worthwhile exercise to plug this into the differential equation to verify that is in fact a solution... and then to figure out what the physical significance of the constants ##A## and ##B## is.

What is the falling body equation and what does it represent?

The falling body equation, also known as the free fall equation, is a mathematical expression that represents the motion of an object falling under the influence of gravity. It is used to calculate the speed, distance, and time of a falling object.

How is the falling body equation derived?

The falling body equation is derived from the laws of motion developed by Isaac Newton. It is based on the principles of acceleration, velocity, and displacement, and takes into account the force of gravity acting on a falling object.

What is the significance of the falling body equation?

The falling body equation is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of gravity and how it affects the motion of objects. It is also a useful tool for predicting and analyzing the motion of falling objects in various scenarios.

What are the variables in the falling body equation and what do they represent?

The variables in the falling body equation are time (t), initial velocity (v0), final velocity (v), acceleration due to gravity (g), and displacement (y). Time represents the duration of the fall, initial velocity is the speed at the beginning of the fall, final velocity is the speed at the end of the fall, acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which the object accelerates towards the ground, and displacement is the distance traveled by the object during the fall.

How is the falling body equation used in real-life applications?

The falling body equation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports to analyze and predict the motion of objects falling under the influence of gravity. It is also used in designing structures and equipment, such as parachutes, to ensure their safety and effectiveness. In sports, the equation is used to calculate the trajectory of a ball or athlete in free fall, such as in long jump or high jump events.