1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling from a tree

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    While exploring the canopy of the rainforest in equatorial South America, Anastasia falls from a branch 39.0 meters high. Exactly 0.8 seconds later Joe falls from the same branch. How high above the ground is Joe when Anastasia splats into the mud below? (the mud is very squishy and nobody is injured)
    *hint: Make an accurate sketch. Use kinematics to solve for the time it takes the first person to reach the mud. Then use kinematics to solve for how far the second person falls in their reduced flight time.

2. Relevant equations
    V=Vo+at
    X=Xo+Vot+1/2at^2
    V^2=Vo^2+2a(X-Xo)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I sketched it out like it told me too, but I still didn't know where to go from getting all of the knowns. X=39 m t=0.8 s

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

lewando

Gold Member

When you find yourself at a loss for ideas, try to compute things that might be useful even if you are not sure how they might be useful. For example: how long did it take Anastaisia to fall? [edit: actually, the hint tells you to do exactly that]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook