Falling Physics: Calculating Speed for 5'11" 195 lbs. Man in D&D Battle

In summary: Then I guess I would just add the normal terminal velocity of a skydiver to the downward velocity of your wind.
Lotuschild
I will ask the question first and give the reason why I'm asking after.

Question: Approximately how fast can a 5'11" tall man weighing 195 lbs. fall towards the ground if he's 3 miles above the surface and has control over the winds of a category 5 hurricane storm to propell him downwards?

Reason: I'm playing a game of Dungeons and Dragons and find myself in control of the weather and able to fly and such. I'm in the middle of a battle when my character decides to use both himself and the winds to push an enemy into the ground. He grabs hold of his target, which is flying 3 miles above ground and proceeds to push him down into the ground, using gavity and the winds at his disposal to push past average terminal velocity. I was told that he would be traveling less than 250 mph, I just thought he'd be going faster. I'm no good at physics, so I will greatly appreciate any answer and explanation I can get. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lotuschild said:
I will ask the question first and give the reason why I'm asking after.

Question: Approximately how fast can a 5'11" tall man weighing 195 lbs. fall towards the ground if he's 3 miles above the surface and has control over the winds of a category 5 hurricane storm to propell him downwards?

Reason: I'm playing a game of Dungeons and Dragons and find myself in control of the weather and able to fly and such. I'm in the middle of a battle when my character decides to use both himself and the winds to push an enemy into the ground. He grabs hold of his target, which is flying 3 miles above ground and proceeds to push him down into the ground, using gavity and the winds at his disposal to push past average terminal velocity. I was told that he would be traveling less than 250 mph, I just thought he'd be going faster. I'm no good at physics, so I will greatly appreciate any answer and explanation I can get. Thanks!
Welcome to the PF.

Hurricane winds go mostly sideways, don't they?

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/hurricane-orig.jpg
hurricane-orig.jpg

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Hurricane winds go mostly sideways, don't they?

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/hurricane-orig.jpg
hurricane-orig.jpg
In the game I can control them to go any direction I'd like.

Lotuschild said:
In the game I can control them to go any direction I'd like.
Then I guess I would just add the normal terminal velocity of a skydiver to the downward velocity of your wind.

Likes Lotuschild

1. What is the formula for calculating speed in falling physics?

The formula for calculating speed in falling physics is: speed = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) and h is the height from which the object falls.

2. How does weight affect falling speed in D&D battles?

In D&D battles, weight does not affect falling speed. According to the rules of the game, all creatures have a base falling speed of 500 feet per round, regardless of their weight. This is to simplify gameplay and make it more fair for all players.

3. Is the weight of the object a factor in calculating falling speed?

No, the weight of the object is not a factor in calculating falling speed. As mentioned before, all creatures in D&D have a base falling speed of 500 feet per round. This means that a 5'11" 195 lbs. man would fall at the same speed as a 5'11" 100 lbs. elf.

4. How does height affect falling speed in D&D battles?

The higher the height from which an object falls, the faster its speed will be. This is because of the acceleration due to gravity pulling the object towards the ground. The formula for calculating speed (speed = √(2gh)) takes into account the height of the fall.

5. Can other factors, such as air resistance, affect falling speed in D&D battles?

In D&D battles, air resistance is not a factor in falling speed calculations. This is because the game assumes that all creatures are falling in a vacuum, where there is no air resistance. This simplifies the calculations and makes it easier for players to keep track of their characters' movements.