Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FAQ Forum

1. Apr 28, 2005 #1
    We all have seen questions be asked 2,3,4... times over and over. A possible solution is to compile all these "hot" questions into one forum. Next time a member asked one of the questions we can simply direct them to the FAQ forum. And maybe, just maybe, someone will browse the FAQ forum before they post the "hot" question. What do you all think?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2005 #2
    Well, err, haven't we already started with that? I made the exact same suggestion a few weeks ago

Look at the FAQ-sticky in the general physics forum
    Besides, who will participate ? Up till now only arildno and myself have done some actual work. Who wants to join ?

marlon

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  4. Apr 28, 2005 #3

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm was thinking of compiling some of my longer and more informative posts into a browsable FAQ on my website, but have delayed due to the need to write a script to insert the latex equations. Since such a system is already built in to the forums, so I'd be happy to advise such a compilation -- if it was desired.

5. Apr 28, 2005 #4

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have said yet my field of collaboration is limitated. You phisicists are more prepared to teach physics than me, I only help as far as fluid mechanics & thermodynamics are concerned.

6. Apr 28, 2005 #5
    You should do that Spacetiger...You have written many great posts. I especially like the one on photon-decoupling and CMB

marlon

7. Apr 28, 2005 #6
    ps, i have a FAQ : can anybody tell me the etymology of the name 'CHROOT'

thanks

marlon

8. Apr 28, 2005 #7
    is chroot a linux command ? if so, what command exactly ?

marlon

9. Apr 28, 2005 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe it stands for 'change root'?

10. Apr 28, 2005 #9
    Dat lijkt mij zeer logisch te zijn. Dank U voor de inlichting

regards
    marlon

11. Apr 28, 2005 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've got a word document under construction...should be out soon.

12. Apr 28, 2005 #11
    i am eager to see it Gokul

regards
    marlon

13. Apr 28, 2005 #12
    Or how about a 'best physics teacher' contest. You know, to determin who is able to give the most accurate and clear explanations for a given set of problems. Just post some questions and after a certain period, people give in their answers. Then all members can judge through a poll , who wrote the best essays...Might also help to boost up the FAQ initiative

That's two for the price of one...:)
    marlon

14. Apr 29, 2005 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I hope that a mini-forum like that marlon&Greg propose gets going.
    A couple of my own thoughts about it:
    1) Anyone may create a FAQ-thread outside of the forum on some topic they would like to expound upon, but it remains the mentors' choice whether that thread has become good enough to be made into a sticky in the FAQ-forum.
    2) For the convenience of readers, it is perhaps best that discussions&questions relating to a particular thread is kept separate from the topic threads themselves.

15. Apr 29, 2005 #14
    But don't you think the FAQ initiative should really become a sticky? That is the only way people will keep noticing it. I mean, if something like 'so you want to be a physicist' can become a sticky then this initiative should have TWO stickies. It will be much more usefull to many many more people

regards
    marlon

16. Apr 30, 2005 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure, I meant that a particular FAQ-thread is eventually put into a FAQ-forum.
    That forum itself of course, should be easy to find (say as a sub-forum under College level in the manner that TD-:yuck: is a sub-forum in Gen.Phys.)

17. Apr 30, 2005 #16
    you know, why don't we replace the TD-subforum with the FAQ-subforum ???

besides, after the intro to netwonian mechanics and plan to elaborate on the mechanics of solid objects. I also have a few ideas on thin film interference and geom. optics...It will take some time, because on monday my phd is going to start...

marlon

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  18. Apr 30, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree that a compilation of FAQs would be more useful if broken down into a forum of its own rather than an unweildy sticky thread with everything in it. The reason is that a student can go to an FAQ forum, scan the list of topics, and find the one relevant to them, or you can find threads using a search. If everything is all in one thread, then it will be really hard to use having to scroll through post after post to find the specific topic of interest.

I also agree with the suggestion to limit posting in the FAQ forum. That should be done at a mentor's discretion, 1) to keep the FAQs from becoming so numerous that they are no longer useful or even FAQs...we don't need to re-write entire textbooks, 2) to keep them accurate and only submitted by reliable members so they don't provide misinformation, and 3) to keep the individual threads free of clutter from discussion.

If it really works well, I can envision a student coming to the forum, reading the relevant FAQ, then heading over to homework help with, "Question related to FAQ #3." I expect they won't replace the "I'm stuck with this problem" questions, but they will help with the ones that originate from simply missing something while taking notes in class, or getting home to realize your notes are incomplete or incoherent.

19. Apr 30, 2005 #18
    This forum does a pretty good job of a separate faq forum, as an example.

http://www.wilmott.com/categories.cfm?catid=19

However, I'm very skeptical it will make any sort of dent in the number of repetitious questions that are asked in the homework help section.

20. Apr 30, 2005 #19

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps, but on the other hand, maybe people will read it and see questions they didn't know they had or never got around to asking. At the very least, it would be nice to have a convenient place to refer repeat questioners.

21. Apr 30, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hey guys, check this forum out that i go to

http://www.overclock.net/

Under the Forum tab at teh top, theres a "FAQ" thats really helpful.

They also have a chatroom but it doesnt work lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?