Faraday Flashligh = Cell Phone Charger?

In summary, an engineering student wants to create a jacket with mini faraday flashlight-esque devices inside to charge electronic devices. The viability of this idea depends on the ability to accumulate sporadic electrical charge and the number of induction devices needed to make it feasible. "Energy Harvesting" from clothing is currently being researched, but it may only be possible with certain battery technologies. Alternatively, one battery could be charged while another is being used in the phone.
Raswelsta
Hi,
I am an engineering student, and I have an idea for a project, but I am not sure if it is viable. I want to make an article of clothing such as a jacket with several mini faraday flashlight-esque devices inside. They would be connected, and would charge a cell phone or other electronic device. My question is, can sporadic electrical charge be be accumulated so as to effectively charge a 3.7 volt battery? Also, how many induction devices would it take to make this device feasible? Any additional thought, comments and criticisms are very welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
"Energy Harvesting" from clothing is a current area of investigation:

http://www.google.com/search?source...othing&gs_upl=0l0l0l9068lllllllllll0&aqi=g-v1

You might be able to get enough energy to charge a cell phone, but keep in mind that many battery technologies work best if they are discharged pretty far before recharging. You would likely be limited to just some battery chemistries (which ones?) if you wanted to continuously trickle charge the phone. An alternative would be to charge one battery while using a 2nd battery in the phone...

1. How does a Faraday flashlight work?

The Faraday flashlight uses electromagnetic induction to generate electricity. When the handle is rapidly moved back and forth, a magnet inside the flashlight moves through a coil of wire, creating a current that charges the internal battery.

2. Can a Faraday flashlight charge any type of cell phone?

No, the Faraday flashlight is designed to charge basic cell phones that use a standard 5V charging cable. It may not work with smartphones or devices that require a higher voltage or specialized charging cable.

3. How long does it take to charge a cell phone with a Faraday flashlight?

The charging time will vary depending on the strength of the flashlight's magnet and the battery capacity of the cell phone. On average, it can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes to charge a cell phone enough for emergency use.

4. Can a Faraday flashlight charge multiple devices at once?

No, the Faraday flashlight is only designed to charge one device at a time. Attempting to charge multiple devices simultaneously may result in slower charging times or damage to the flashlight or devices.

5. Is a Faraday flashlight a reliable source of emergency power?

The Faraday flashlight can be a useful backup for emergency situations, but it should not be relied upon as the sole source of power. Its charging capabilities are limited and it may not work in all situations, such as low light or if the flashlight is damaged.