Faraday's Law Help - Find Answers Here!

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of the symbol "^" in the illustration on Faraday's Law. It is explained that "^" represents the change in a variable and can be replaced with "d" for differentiation. The concept is compared to velocity as the change in distance over time. It is then applied to Faraday's Law, where "^B/^t" represents the change in magnetic flux over time, with B representing magnetic field and A representing area. Additional information and resources are also provided for further understanding.
matthewgill
Hello,

I have found this information on the internet, but just need a few parts explained:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/farlaw.html

For the 'magnet moving into coil' (lower left illustration),where it says ^B/^t=0.4T/s (where '^' is the triangular symbol in the illustration) what do i have to replace the '^B' and '^t' with for my own equasion?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
matthewgill said:
Hello,

I have found this information on the internet, but just need a few parts explained:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/farlaw.html

For the 'magnet moving into coil' (lower left illustration),where it says ^B/^t=0.4T/s (where '^' is the triangular symbol in the illustration) what do i have to replace the '^B' and '^t' with for my own equasion?

Thank you

"^" is nothing but the change..^ can be replaced with "d" differentiation. To explain with other example, velocity is the change in distance w.r.t time.
i.e. velocity = final distance - initial distance/time taken
which can be written as velocity = dl/dt where dl is the change in distance ...

The same applies for faraday's law
^B/^t = d(BA)/dt= change in magnetic flux w.r.t. time..where B is magnetic field and A is area

For more details see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_induction

for your question. In Faraday's Law, the symbol '^B' represents the change in magnetic field strength and '^t' represents the change in time. So for your own equation, you would need to measure the change in magnetic field strength and the change in time for the specific situation you are studying. Once you have those values, you can substitute them into the equation ^B/^t=0.4T/s to find the induced electric field. I hope this helps clarify the equation for you.

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law, also known as Faraday's Law of Induction, states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor.

2. Who discovered Faraday's Law?

Michael Faraday, an English scientist, first discovered Faraday's Law in 1831.

3. How does Faraday's Law work?

Faraday's Law works by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction. When a conductor, such as a wire, is exposed to a changing magnetic field, it will experience a force that causes electrons to move and create an electric current.

4. What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law has many practical applications, including generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in devices such as microphones, loudspeakers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

5. How is Faraday's Law related to Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law and states that the direction of an induced current will always oppose the change that caused it. In other words, the induced current will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the original changing magnetic field.