Faraday's law of electomagnetic induction

In summary: So you need to divide your final answer by the time. In summary, we have a piece of copper wire formed into a circular loop with a radius of 13 cm and a resistance per unit length of 3.3 x 10^-2 ohm/m. As a magnetic field increases from 0 to 0.60 T in 0.45 s, the average electrical energy dissipated in the wire is 8368389.167 J.
mayo2kett
A piece of copper wire is formed into a single circular loop of radius 13 cm. A magnetic field is oriented parallel to the normal to the loop, and it increases from 0 to 0.60 T in a time of 0.45 s. The wire has a resistance per unit length of 3.3 x 10-2 ohm/m. What is the average electrical energy dissipated in the resistance of the wire.

ok so this is what i have:
r= 13cm= .13m
change in t= .45s
B= .60T
restitance per unit length= 3.3 x 10^-2
N= 1

then i tried:
magnetic flux= BAcos= (.60T)(530.9m^2)= 318.6
emf= -N(change in magnetic flux/ change in time)= -1(318.6/.45s)= -708

here is where i get really confused:
R= restitance per unit length (L/A)

does this mean i should do:
R= 3.3 x 10-2 ohm/m (2 pi .13)/(.13^2 pi)?

or is it just R= 3.3 x 10-2 ohm/m (.13m)? because the units work out this way...

once i figure that out i would do:
I=emf/R ---->
P=I(emf) ------->
E=Pt and that would give me energy

Physics news on Phys.org
you are guven resistance per unit length
hence 2Pi r length will have resistance 3.3x10^-2*(2Pi -0.13)

Last edited:
won't that give me units of ohm/m^2 ? i thought i was supposed to be getting rid of the m's because the R is in units of ohm...
i'm still very confused about this problem.

[tex] R= 3.3 \times 10^{-2} \left(\frac{ohm}{m}\right) \cdot \left(2 \pi \times 0.13m \right) [/tex]

This has units of ohms. The last term is the circumference of the circle, i.e., the length of the wire.

ok i think i finally understand how to find R now...
R= .027

once i figured that out, i did:
I=emf/R = (-708)/.027 = -26266.1
P=I(emf) = (-26266.1)(-708) = 18596420.37W
E=Pt = (18596420.37W)(.45s) = 8368389.167J and that should give me the electrical energy dissipated in the wire right?

but this problem still isn't working out and I'm not sure where i went wrong

Check your formula for the magnetic flux. Is the magnetic field always at 0.6 Tesla? Also, pay attention to the fact that the question is asking for the average energy dissipated.

What is Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction states that when a conductor is exposed to a changing magnetic field, a current is induced in the conductor. This phenomenon is the basis for the operation of generators and transformers.

Who discovered Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction was discovered by English scientist Michael Faraday in the 1830s while he was experimenting with electricity and magnetism.

What is the mathematical equation for Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction?

The mathematical equation for Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction is given by emf = -N(dΦ/dt), where emf represents the electromotive force induced in a conductor, N is the number of turns in the conductor, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the conductor.

What is the relationship between Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction and Lenz's law?

Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction and Lenz's law are closely related, as Lenz's law states that the direction of the induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change in the magnetic field that caused it. This can be seen in Faraday's law, as the negative sign indicates that the induced current will flow in the opposite direction of the change in magnetic flux.

How is Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction is used in many common devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in power plants to generate electricity and in various electronic devices, such as speakers and headphones, to convert electrical energy into sound.