1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday's law(teaching my self)

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to work out the size of the field coil in a self-exciting generator as well as the size of the induction coil and the speed it all has to move

2. Relevant equations

I think Faraday's law is what I need but I am not sure I am not a physics student so finding the right equations and knowing what the symbols mean on the ones I do find has me hung up at the moment
    so:
    number of windings = -1*(-voltage/change in (( tesla * area meters squared)/ seconds))

3. The attempt at a solution

if the generator could make 70 kilowatts that would be great, but in the formula is the area of the coil the area of the field coil or the induction coil, and how much current would come out of this? shouldent it be watts and not volts?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2
    so the number of windings in the stator coil should be 60,000
    if the voltage is 120 and the teslas of the magnets are 1 and the area of the magnetic field is one centimeter and if the field is moving at .2
    -1*(-120/(1*.01)/.2)
    then to use electromagnets as the motors the formula is:
    B * gap = Mu * N * I
    where:
    B is in Tesla (10,000 gauss)
    gap is in meters (This is the opening of the "C ".)
    Mu = 4π * 10-7
    N is an integer equal to the number of turns in your coil
    I is the current in Amps
    so at 1 tesla and a gap of .01 meters and at 40 amps the electromagnets would need around 200 turns
    is any of this right?
    and how do I solve for how many amps will come out of the generator?
    I have looked around and cannot find formula for amps outof the stator coil or for volts in to the field coil

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook