Fascinating Time-Travel Paradox

• Thread starter fomenkoa
  • Start date
Gonzolo said:
Once you've observed the future, you're there, there is no going back to the past and wait for tomorrow to happen again. By saying "then decide to change it" you have implied going back in time. According to standard curriculum physics, it's a one way route.
I meant looking through a time machine window and seeing what you will be doing tomorrow. When tomorrow comes though, you decide to do something different.

Anton

The Many Worlds theory allows for universes with every possible arrangement of quanta, including paths that are identical although relatively time-reversed.

However, wouldn't time reversal generate an antimatter cosmos resulting in the destruction of all (presently contiguous) matter?

cronxeh

Gold Member
well let me take a crack at it.

after monkeying around with the idea i came up with this. your past has a sequence of events and it is not changable due to thermodynamics and entropy. hence, even IF you end up in past tense, that is at point (x,y,z,-T years), my presence will still be unaltered, since you will spawn a new universe. This new universe will have future which you will only be able to travel to by goin around near or at the speed of light. Suppose you will circle around the planet for T years until you reach the time that you left my current universe - it would be very different, and in no way will it affect MY universe which will already be at point (x,y,z,2T). So in essence my universe is already T years ahead of yours. Furthermore, if I wanted to go from my universe to yours - it would be impossible. Since if its possible to travel only on the 4th dimension - you cant go between the universes, only into the previous one, creating a different one.

Now you might wonder.. where is the energy to power all those multiverses (this is after all physics discussion) - the answer is.. nowhere. There is not enough dimensions or energy in the _whole world_ to accommodate multiverses. Hence you can not travel into the past because its already gone (thermodynamics), and you cant travel into the future hence its not written yet. You can only travel in 3 dimensions with respect to the 4th one. Or you can travel on 4th dimensions without the x,y,z. Its called history. You can learn about it, you can think about it, and you can envision the future - all traveling in the 4th dimensions, without the first 3.

Last edited:
I don't have the book in front of me, but Kip Thorne already figured all this stuff out. Time travel is possible using wormholes, but it creates a feedback loop, like the squeal from a microphone, that closes the wormhole, making time travel impossible.
HOLY MOLY! When I started writing this is was 3:19, it is now 3:20. I have traveled through time. OMG! I did it again.