Fast track medicine for physicists

In summary: A fully qualified doctor can partake in independent research, as long as they have the time and knowledge required.
deadringer
I'm about to start my third year of an MPhys degree at Oxford. I'm a very serious student and am predicted to get a good first, but I've recently become more interested in becoming a doctor (and possibly doing medical research) than just pursuing a purely scientific career in physics. I'm slightly worried that my physics degree (whilst being very interesting) might not really be of much use when I change direction (or at least probably won't be as much use as a biochemistry/biology/chemistry etc. degree) I'm trying to choose my courses in the last two years to try and benefit me as much in my medical career as much as possible. There are a couple of issues:

1) There are a couple of topics that look as though they might relate to a medical degree e.g
Minor options in 3rd year: Medical and environmental physics
Introduction to Biophysics
Major option in 4th year: Biological Physics
These could either give me an introduction to what I might be studying in the future, or it might just end up being a repetition. If I'm going to learn the same stuff in more detail later there might not be any point in taking these.

2) If I was to go into e.g medical research later on, what sort of undergraduate physics knowledge might be useful? I have no idea if e.g solid state or fluid mechanics is useful to a medical researcher.

3) Does anyone know of any good forums for people wanting advice for medical careers/research?

Physics news on Phys.org
deadringer said:
3) Does anyone know of any good forums for people wanting advice for medical careers/research?

This forum, although geard primarily toward U.S. med students, may be of some use to you. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you want to be a medical doctor, ie. work in a hospital, local practice... or do you want to do medical research?

For the former, you must have to get a medical degree?!? - I doubt there's anyway to fast track someone through this.

For the latter, you don't need to have medical qualifications. A couple of examples: a dynamical systems background can allow you to research, eg., respiratory systems, drug delivery... a background in data manipulation can be used to analyse scans...

I have known people with applied math backgrounds, but no medical qualifications, who work with proper :wink: doctors in hospitals.

I think there's been a bit of a misunderstanding. In the UK graduates of pretty much any discipline can take a standard medical degree (i.e MBBS and BChir) in just 4 years, instead of six. This is known as "fast track" medicine, and is what I'm planning to do. This would definitely allow me to qualify as a proper doctor i.e I could eventually become a consultant etc. I was just thinking that if I choose to do medical research after my MBBS, which physics options are useful?

I doubt any particular modules would get you onto a fast-track course more easily than any others. Go with the personal interest thing for your modules, and good luck getting onto fast-track. My housemate, an experienced optometry graduate, got rejected from fast-track and has just finished her first year of medicine.

Getting some medical experience would count for more than any particular uni modules; do some voluntary work in a nursing home, or perhaps work with St John's Ambulance or something.

Oh, and most medicine degrees here are five years now, the sixth being the start of your JHO stint.

You're still a bit vague over this "medical research" thing.

Do fully qualified doctors/surgeons/consultants have the time, or indeed the knowledge, required to partake in independent research?

1. What is fast track medicine for physicists?

Fast track medicine for physicists is a specialized program that allows individuals with a background in physics to pursue a medical degree in a shorter amount of time. It combines the study of physics with the necessary coursework for medical school, allowing students to bypass certain prerequisites and complete their medical degree in an accelerated timeframe.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing fast track medicine for physicists?

The main benefit of this program is the shortened timeline for completing a medical degree. This allows individuals to enter the medical field and begin their careers sooner. Additionally, the combination of physics and medicine can provide a unique perspective and skill set that may be valuable in certain medical specialties.

3. What are the requirements for fast track medicine for physicists?

The specific requirements may vary by program, but generally, individuals must have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. They may also need to have completed certain courses in biology, chemistry, and other pre-medical subjects. Some programs may also require a minimum GPA and/or MCAT score.

4. Can individuals without a physics background pursue fast track medicine?

It is possible for individuals without a physics background to pursue fast track medicine, but they may need to complete additional coursework in physics before being accepted into the program. This can vary by program, so it is important to research specific requirements and speak with an admissions advisor.

5. What career opportunities are available for individuals with a fast track medicine degree?

Individuals with a fast track medicine degree have the same career opportunities as any other medical school graduate. They can pursue careers as doctors, in various specialties such as radiology or oncology, or in research and academia. The combination of physics and medicine may also open up unique opportunities in fields such as medical imaging or medical device development.