Fast Way to Find System Poles Without a Calculator?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maxwell
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Poles System
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Maxwell
Messages
511
Reaction score
0
Hey, I was wondering if there is a fast way to find the poles of a system - not using a calculator.

For example,

[tex]G(s) = \frac {30}{(s^2 + 6s + 20)(s + 2)(s + 13)}[/tex]

I know two poles right off the bat: -2 and -13, but is there a way to get the poles from the quadratic quickly? Besides the using the quadratic equation, I mean.

I don't think there is, but for some reason I thought I saw someone taking the "b" term, in this example 6s, and halving it. So the pole would be 3. I don't think this is right, is it?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a really long time since doing controls work for me. However, other than the quadratic formula, your idea of halving the b term seemed to give you the real component of the roots (they are complex roots). You would have to change the sign on the real part as well.
 
Well for what I am interested in, I only need the real term. The imaginary part doesn't play a role in figuring out if a system has dominant poles.

Thank you for answering, this will save me much time. :smile: