Is Energy Transmitted Faster than Light through Electro-Weak Fields?

In summary, the speed of light represents a limit in our universe that cannot be surpassed by objects with mass. At high energies, the electromagnetic force unifies with the weak force to form the electro-weak force. Energy is not transmitted faster than light through electro-weak or strong fields. In the standard model, all fundamental forces are mediated by gauge bosons that are constrained to travel at or below the speed of light. Fermat's theorem or principle, which states that light will always take the path with the greatest distance in the least time, does not apply to particles as their speed of light within a medium is not faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. It is not accurate to say that light can travel faster within a particle
tickle_monste
I understand that in our universe, the speed of light represents a limit which objects of mass cannot reach. I also understand that at sufficiently high energies, the electromagnetic force becomes unified with the weak force to make the electro-weak force.

Now my question is, is energy transmitted faster than light through an electro-weak field? What about a strong field? Etc. etc. It seems to me that energy would be transmitted faster through these fields, and that if it didn't, particles would not be able to exist (my extended interpretation of Fermat's Theorem). If this were the case, I would presume there would be serious implications regarding the time-evolution of the universe from the Big Bang.

No detail goes unappreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
tickle_monste said:
I Now my question is, is energy transmitted faster than light through an electro-weak field? What about a strong field? Etc. etc.

No and no. Etc. etc.

tickle_monste said:
It seems to me that energy would be transmitted faster through these fields, and that if it didn't, particles would not be able to exist (my extended interpretation of Fermat's Theorem).

Which theorem? And is this in the peer-reviewed literature anywhere?

Within the standard model, all the fundamental forces are mediated by gauge bosons, massive or otherwise, which are constrained to travel <= the speed of light.

e.g. the exchange of photons between electrons leads to their mutual electromagnetic replusion. Clearly the force transfer occurs at the speed of light.

It is good to remember that the universe has a maximum speed limit for motion in inertial frames, and light moves at this speed because photons are massless. For the stong force, the gluons are massless, and so they move at the maximum speed, so we could call it the "speed of glue." The 'weak field' , on the other hand, is made of W and Z particles which do have mass, and anything with mass propogates slower than the speed of light (glue).

Now my question is, is energy transmitted faster than light through an electro-weak field? What about a strong field? Etc. etc.

Absolutely not, no, never.

It seems to me that energy would be transmitted faster through these fields, and that if it didn't, particles would not be able to exist (my extended interpretation of Fermat's Theorem).

If you phrase it in terms of a question, "can I use Fermat's principle..." (you do mean principle instead of theorem, right?) then maybe the PF moderators will let you discuss that 'extension' (I would read it) but if you say that your own intuition has led you to a faster-than-light conclusion then no will take that seriously.

Thank you, confinement, and everybody else, all these answers helped a lot. I'm not sure whether I mean Fermat's principle or Fermat's theorem, because I learned about it in a Calc II text. They called it Fermat's theorem, and it says, "Light will always take the path over which it can travel the most distance in the least time." Which would be a straight line in a vacuum. It was 100% my own intuition that led me to my "extension" of Fermat's theorem. I do not expect it to be taken seriously, I'm looking for enlightenment on where I'm thinking wrong.

If light would always travel the greatest distance in the least time, then it seems that if it were to enter a particle, then the speed of light within the particle must be greater than in the vacuum. I first tried to explain the absorption of light by a particle by collisions of light with particles, where in that specific instant of time, the light would have to choose the path that enters the particle, and the particle remains stable because it would take a longer time to exit the particle than to remain within.

Basically my first way of thinking about it is that light simply can just travel faster within the particle, and the second way says that it's just circumstantial that the light is staying within the particle. Is either of these ways of thinking correct? From what I've gathered so far, my first way is wrong. I'm just here to ask questions.

What is faster than light media?

Faster than light media refers to any material or substance that can transmit information or energy faster than the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

Is faster than light travel possible with this technology?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or technology that allows for faster than light travel. The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel.

How does faster than light media work?

Faster than light media does not actually move faster than the speed of light. Instead, it uses advanced technologies and techniques to encode and transmit information in a way that appears to be faster than light. This can include quantum entanglement, which allows for instantaneous communication between two particles regardless of distance.

What are the potential applications of faster than light media?

The potential applications of faster than light media are still largely theoretical, but they could include faster communication and data transmission, as well as advancements in quantum computing and teleportation.

What are the implications of faster than light media for our understanding of physics?

If faster than light media is proven to be possible and can be harnessed, it could challenge our current understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. It would require a reevaluation of Einstein's theory of relativity and could open up new possibilities for space travel and communication.