Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fate, My Theory

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    Hi all, just hoping for some opinions on a silly little scribble I was writing a while ago, stuff I think about a lot:

Input would be appreciated :). Sorry if I wasted your time reading this :(!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The two objects may appear to be traveling at speeds greater than the speed of light relative to each other; to an observer who is defined to be at rest. But in the frame of either colliding object, that frame is at rest, and the other object is travelling at a speed less than the speed of light. If you take some time to study Special Relativity, you will see that this is true.

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    Thanks for a quick reply! :)

The last 2 bits are more random thoughts of mine than actual theory's.

Robert Pounder

5. Mar 19, 2009 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We don't know if time travel is possible beyond the normal sense of time, so we can't know what rules would apply if it was possible to back in time.

You are invited to ask questions, but please remember that personal theories are not discussed here.

6. Mar 19, 2009 #5
    Sorry I did not know :(!

7. Mar 19, 2009 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Mar 19, 2009 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hi Robert, the scenarios you described are not new. You might want to read about the grandfather paradox. If you like science fiction, Bradbury's "A sound of thunder" is a great short story about traveling back in time and changing the present.

You might want to look up some old threads about these subjects before starting a new one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook