Favourite Frontman?

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Very mean ! :devil:

When did it start becoming cool to call Yo Yo Ma, "ma yau yau"...or is this some inside joke ?

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm not young...I was born in the 70s.

Evo
Mentor
Gokul43201 said:
I'm not young...I was born in the 70s.
Oh good, then I can ask you to marry me and not have to fear legal repercussions. :approve:

Did anyone ever get a chance to hear Sandy Denny when she was with Fairport Convention live?

I would have liked to see Grace with The Great Society. I like the songs that came out of there a lot more than the Jefferson Airplane songs. I would have really liked to see the band "Love" perform too. Unfortunately I was born a couple decades too late :).

Of course Hendrix, Janis, Robert & Jimmy, would have been fantastic to see, as would Jim Morisson.

I tink Ozzy should get some credit as well, hes always been pretty outrageous.

Would have loved to see Clapton back in his Cream days as well. Mmmmm, mmm, good.

-JasonZ

Polly said:
:rofl: Mean and nasty, so I made a mistake. Here's the link in case you don't know who I am referring to. ^.^
I liked the bit where he poked the flautist in the eye with a mackerel - that's what I call rock.

Gokul43201 said:
I don't get this still :grumpy:

Why chastise a flautist for appearing too Pied Piper-like ? :confused:
Put it this way, I'd like to see him jam with my man Ma Yau Yau.

the number 42 said:
I liked the bit where he poked the flautist in the eye with a mackerel - that's what I call rock.
Ehh? :confused:

Gokul43201 said:
When did it start becoming cool to call Yo Yo Ma, "ma yau yau"...or is this some inside joke ?
:biggrin: That's the transliteration of his Chinese name.

the number 42 said:
Put it this way, I'd like to see him jam with my man Ma Yau Yau.
Maybe you'd need to lend him your b**ls of steel, though :biggrin:

Polly said:
:biggrin: That's the transliteration of his Chinese name.
So what does his name mean? Death Hate Hate? Sex Drugs Violince? Enquiring minds demand to be told.

Or Cyril 'Nasty' Jones, perhaps?

Ma is quite a common surname, literally it means a horse. Yo can be friend, chum, befriend and any noun derivatives of the same. Like you are a great yo :biggrin: .

I was like - WOAH! , boy. Is 'horse' his nickname? He's a well known stud? He has unusually lucky dimensions?

So if this geezer's name is Friendly Horse, will he be marketed in the US as 'the new Mr Ed'? He deserves better. He kicks ass.

Well don't let your imagination run wild but my surname literally means a plum. The Taiwanese government recently reported that there are people by the surnames firewood, rice, oil, salt, soya sauce, vinegar and tea.

Homer Simpson voice: "Mmmm, plum..."

My surname literally means Big Ol' Banana. Not wanting to put ideas in your head or anything, of course. :biggrin:

hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When it comes to frontmen who can swoon the ladies with pure looks and animal magnetism, no one beats Ric Ocasek. Robert Plant, eat your heart out!

Which one is he? Are you the other one?

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm recognizing a lot of names from "my" generation: John Rotton (as seen in videos from that time) was amazing. Ian Curtis was indeed disturbing but not exactly an ideal frontman. I suppose David Bowie doesn't count as a "frontman" per se, but he has been and remains one of the best stage "icons" thoughout the decades.

Yet I must hold up the banner for Bono as being the best (from the era that I know) at not only conveying excitement from the stage but acting as the spokesman for the ideals of the band. And his intergrity... few rock stars can match it (no not saying perfect, but who is).

Who would have thought, though, when we were singing along to "I will follow" that this same band would be known by everyone and their songs would be used to plug NFL football?

hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
He's the zombie. :tongue2: C'mon, don't you know your Cars? They had some good tunes.

hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Bono really should have put some more thought into his moniker. He comes off looking even worse playing in the same band as a guy who calls himself The Edge. That's like trying to look nice by throwing on a turtleneck sweater while the guy next to you is wearing an Armani suit.

hypnagogue said:
He's the zombie. :tongue2:.
Like that answers my question :tongue2:

hypnagogue said:
C'mon, don't you know your Cars? They had some good tunes.
The Cars? Don't you know Cars = War??? Just being silly. Yeah, the cars, Let the Good Times Roll etc. Not bad, maybe a bit commercial though.

Chi Meson said:
Ian Curtis was indeed disturbing but not exactly an ideal frontman. .
Mmm, yeah. You are probably right. I don't really know. I'm basing my opinion on a couple of videos I've seen.

Chi Meson said:
I suppose David Bowie doesn't count as a "frontman" per se, but he has been and remains one of the best stage "icons" thoughout the decades..
Bowie is great, but your statement begs the question: what is a frontman? I hope we aren't going to find out that the epitome of frontmanship is that annoying git from Kiss. 'Frontman' shouldn't mean 'circus performer', IMO. Perhaps if we transfer this thread to another part of PF we can get a mathematical formula for a frontman, or a blueprint for designing one. Nah, its a matter of personal taste.

Chi Meson said:
Yet I must hold up the banner for Bono as being the best (from the era that I know) at not only conveying excitement from the stage but acting as the spokesman for the ideals of the band.
Yeah. U2 have been good for years. I've always found Bono's sincerity not very rock & roll, though.

hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
the number 42 said:
Like that answers my question :tongue2:
OK, the zombie on the left. :biggrin:

Yeah, the cars, Let the Good Times Roll etc. Not bad, maybe a bit commercial though.
Maybe, but not in a bad way. If anything, I prefer to think of it as 80s-sounding, but not in a bad way (which is quite an accomplishment, if you think about it!).

chester bennington rocks

hypnagogue said:
Maybe, but not in a bad way. If anything, I prefer to think of it as 80s-sounding, but not in a bad way (which is quite an accomplishment, if you think about it!).
Yeah, you're right. Considering it was the 80's - the decade where most music SUCKED like you never thought possible - the Cars were good.