Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FB Asymmetry (AFB)

1. Aug 20, 2012 #1
    My question is:

What is the relation between the AFB and the asymmetry charge?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2
    Probably you mean forward/backward vs charge asymmetry? As in what is discussed here?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetry#In_collider_experiments

Actually I do not have a great appreciation of this. The wikipedia page seems to suggest that a forward-backward asymmetry is intended to probe the differences between left and right handed fermions, however since the only way to have left handed particles in one beam and right handed in another beam is to use particle/antiparticle pairs (i.e. electron/positron like LEP, or proton/antiproton like the Tevatron) then I have a hard time understanding what information it gives you that charge asymmetry measurements do not. The wikipedia page does mention some things but I still don't really get it. It is pretty technical I think.

Perhaps someone will come along and educate us both :)

4. Aug 21, 2012 #3
    Err, except that stuff I said about particles and antiparticles having opposite handedness is total crap because of course the left and right handed parts mix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook