SLC Asymmetry: Measuring A_LR with Unpolarized Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the measure of asymmetry left-right (##A_{LR}##) at the SLC and the discrepancy between the measured and theoretical values. The speaker presents a different definition of P and a sign error in their calculations, which leads to a different result.
Aleolomorfo
Hello everybody!
I have a question regarding the measure of the asymmetry left-right (##A_{LR}##) at the SLC. Since the beam was not fully polarized the measured asymmetry is different from the theoretical one. The relation which I have found on papers and books is:
$$A_{LR}^{measured} = \frac{|N_L - N_R|}{N_L + N_R} = A_{LR} <P>$$
with ##N_L## the number of events when the beam is left-polarized and mutatis mutandis for ##N_R##.
But what I call a left-polarized beam is: ##<P>e_L + (1-<P>) e_R##
And what I call a right-polarized beam is: ##<P>e_R + (1-<P>) e_L##
With ##e_L## the number of left-polarized electrons and mutatis mutandis for ##e_R##.
If I substitute:
$$A_{LR}^{measured} = \frac{|N_L - N_R|}{N_L + N_R} = \frac{<P>e_L + (1-<P>) e_R - <P>e_R - (1-<P>) e_L}{<P>e_L + (1-<P>) e_R + <P>e_R + (1-<P>) e_L}$$
Doing a bit of algebra I obtain:
$$A_{LR}^{measured} = \frac{e_L - e_R}{e_L + e_R} (2<P> + 1) = A_{LR} (2<P> +1)$$
which is not the relation mentioned above that I find on books... In which point my reasoning fail?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you just use a different definition of P, plus a sign error somewhere. If both polarizations appear equally often the first equation has < P > = 0 while you call this < P > = 1/2. If the beam is purely polarized then < P > = +- 1 in the first equation while you would use 0 or 1. If you flip the sign of either 2 <P> or +1 then your brackets go from -1 to 1, just like the original equation.

Likes Aleolomorfo

1. What is SLC Asymmetry?

SLC Asymmetry refers to the difference in the scattering cross-section of left-handed (L) and right-handed (R) particles when they are scattered by a target. It is a measure of the asymmetry in the scattering process and can provide valuable information about the underlying physical properties of the target.

2. How is A_LR measured?

A_LR is measured by using an unpolarized beam, which means that the particles in the beam have random spin orientations. The beam is then scattered off the target and the scattered particles are detected and counted. The difference in the number of left-handed and right-handed particles is used to calculate the asymmetry A_LR.

3. Why is an unpolarized beam used?

An unpolarized beam is used because it allows for a more accurate measurement of A_LR. If a polarized beam is used, the spin orientations of the particles in the beam may affect the measurement and introduce errors. By using an unpolarized beam, the spin orientations are randomized and any systematic errors can be minimized.

4. What is the significance of measuring A_LR?

Measuring A_LR can provide important insights into the structure and dynamics of the target. It can help to determine the spin properties of the target, as well as any possible interactions with other particles. Additionally, A_LR can provide information about the symmetry or asymmetry of the target, which can have implications in various fields of physics.

5. Are there any limitations to using A_LR to measure asymmetry?

While A_LR can provide valuable information, it is important to note that it is only one measure of asymmetry and may not capture the full picture. Other techniques, such as polarized beam experiments, may be needed to fully understand the target's properties. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by experimental conditions and the quality of the data collected.