Tension Direction in FBDs & Tension HW

• Thread starter uradnky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, while working through problems involving tension, the direction of the tension force can be determined by considering the motion of the objects in the system. In one case where block A has a velocity to the right, the tension force is in the direction of A's motion. In another case where block A is at rest and slides down an inclined plane, the tension force opposes the motion of A. There is no rule of thumb for determining the direction of tension, but in both cases, the tension force is away from block A. This is because the rope must be taut, and it is not possible to push on a rope.
uradnky

Homework Statement

While working through problems I always have trouble determining the direction that tension acts in on objects in the system.

In system B.) block A has a velocity of 4m/s to the right, with mu(k)=0.2, causing the mass B to fall, in class tension was assumed to be in the direction of A's motion.

But in A.) the system starts at rest, and A slides down the frictionless inclined plane moving masses B and C. In this case the tension opposes the motion of A, I just can't visualize this.

Is there some rule of thumb for this that I'm just not realising?

If someone could give me a brief explanation on how tension acts on each object in these systems I would appreciate it.

19.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't matter how A is moving. In both cases, you'll notice that the tension force is in the same direction: AWAY from block A. There's no other direction it could be in that would correspond to the rope being taut, right?

You can't push on a rope.

Hah that makes things easy. I guess I was thinking back to statics where if I was assuming a member to be in tension, but my answer came out negative then I had assumed wrong and it was in compression.

Thanks alot.

1. What is tension in FBDs and HW?

Tension is a force that is present in objects or systems that are being pulled or stretched. In the context of FBDs (free body diagrams) and HW (homework), tension is often represented as a vector with an arrow pointing away from the object or system.

2. How do you determine the direction of tension in FBDs and HW?

The direction of tension can be determined by analyzing the forces that are acting on an object or system. In FBDs, tension is typically represented as a vector pointing away from the object, while in HW problems, the direction of tension can be found by considering the forces acting on the object or system and using Newton's Second Law.

3. Can tension change direction in FBDs and HW?

Yes, tension can change direction in FBDs and HW. This usually occurs when there are multiple forces acting on an object or system and the tension force is being pulled or stretched in a different direction.

4. How does tension affect the motion of an object in FBDs and HW?

In FBDs and HW, tension can affect the motion of an object by either accelerating it or keeping it at a constant velocity. The magnitude and direction of the tension force will determine how the object will move.

5. What are some tips for solving tension problems in FBDs and HW?

Some tips for solving tension problems in FBDs and HW include identifying all the forces acting on the object or system, labeling the tension force with a vector pointing away from the object, and using Newton's Second Law to set up and solve equations. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the forces acting on the object to better understand the direction and magnitude of tension.