Feather Terminal Velocity Comparison: Mars vs. Earth Atmospheric Conditions

In summary, the question is asking which planet, Mars or Earth, will have a higher terminal velocity for a feather dropped from a great height due to the differences in gravity and atmospheric conditions. The data provided includes the gravity of Mars being 1/3 of Earth's and the atmospheric pressure being 1000mbar for Earth and 10mbar for Mars. The formula for terminal velocity takes into account the square root of gravitational force and the inverse square root of viscosity. There is a discussion about how the viscosity changes with temperature and pressure, and whether or not it is independent of pressure and affected by temperature in this specific scenario. The website provided also states that Mars' atmosphere is more similar to a vacuum than a real atmosphere. However
Worzo
Firstly, this isn't my homework question. I was trying to answer another, broader question for a student, and it boiled down to this one. There's quite a subtle point here, I think, but I just can't grasp it.

Consider stable atmospheric conditions on Mars and Earth. A feather is dropped from a great height on both planents. Which planet gives the feather the higher terminal velocity?

Data given is:
- Mars gravity = (1/3)g
- Earth atmosphere: 1000mbar
- Mars atmosphere: 10mbar

So terminal velocity goes as square root of gravitational force and inverse square root of viscosity. I can't work out how the viscosity changes with temperature and pressure.

Gut feeling tells you that the weaker gravity (a third of Earth's) contributes to lowering the terminal velocity. However, doesn't the fact that the pressure is 100 times smaller contribute to the viscosity somehow?

I remember proving in kinetic theory that viscosity is independent of pressure (except for high pressures), but does that hold here? I can't help thinking temperature has something to do with it as well.

Any explanation/calculation of Terrestrial/Martian atmospheric viscosity would be most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
AFAIK, Mars' atmo is more akin to vacuum than it is to a real atmo.

DaveC426913 said:
AFAIK, Mars' atmo is more akin to vacuum than it is to a real atmo.

That's what I thought, but I can't find any expression for how the viscosity changes at low pressure.

1. How does the atmospheric density affect feather terminal velocity on Mars and Earth?

The atmospheric density on Mars is about 1% of Earth's, meaning there is less air resistance for a feather to overcome during freefall. This results in a slower terminal velocity on Mars compared to Earth.

2. Does the force of gravity play a role in the terminal velocity of a feather?

Yes, the force of gravity affects the terminal velocity of a feather on both Mars and Earth. However, since the gravitational pull is weaker on Mars, it has less of an impact on the terminal velocity compared to Earth.

3. How do the surface temperatures of Mars and Earth affect feather terminal velocity?

The surface temperature on Mars is significantly lower than on Earth, which can affect the air density and thus the terminal velocity of a feather. However, the temperature difference alone does not have a significant impact on the terminal velocity.

4. Is there any other factor besides atmospheric conditions that can affect feather terminal velocity?

Yes, the shape and size of the feather can also impact its terminal velocity. Other factors such as air pressure, wind speed, and the presence of other objects in the air can also have a small effect on the terminal velocity.

5. Can the terminal velocity of a feather be accurately calculated on both Mars and Earth?

Yes, the terminal velocity of a feather can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the air density, gravitational force, and other factors. However, there may be slight variations due to different atmospheric conditions and the shape/size of the feather.