Feeding electricity to the grid and generator loads

In summary, a generator can be sized to consume the biomass fuel and provide power to the grid, but there may be other requirements from the utility.
mellotango
Hi,

I am in processing of sizing a generator that biomass as fuel to be fed back to the grid as part of feed in tariff initiatives. However, I would like to know roughly how this feeding mechanism works. For example, in a workshop, a machine motor would initially draw up to 5X the rated motor power output from a generator and gradually decrease to its rated power once it gains enough momentum. I want to know if when I'm feeding electricity to the grid from my generator, does the grid draw variable loads from my generator in a similar fashion? Or is the electricity supply to the grid at a constant predictable load?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll have to contact engineers at the supplier to get a feel for how you can feed the grid. Very large suppliers will have to be willing to curtail generation when the grid cannot absorb the electricity. Small generators will be able to feed the grid at will and let major the supplier take any swings with their non-baseload generators.

turbo said:
Small generators will be able to feed the grid at will and let major the supplier take any swings with their non-baseload generators.

Yes, Most power generation companies provide huge amounts of energy and small fluctuations are moot; compared to smelting operations. Check out these conductors.

309px-TVA_phosphate_smelting_furnace.jpg

For Grid Tie - there are a lot of requirements form the utility affecting Safety, Power Quality, Grid Stability - and revenue.

The generator should be sized to consume the fuel - at optimal rate, but will require some type of load control on the generator. Other than that the Utility you are connecting to may have other requirements.

But from a technical standpoint - a Generator on the Grid can be configured to provide pretty much any level of power / current to the grid - up to the point the generator fails.

What is the purpose of feeding electricity to the grid and generator loads?

The purpose of feeding electricity to the grid and generator loads is to provide a stable and reliable source of power for homes, businesses, and other facilities. This helps to meet the energy demands of society and support economic activities.

How does electricity get fed into the grid and generator loads?

Electricity is fed into the grid and generator loads through a system of power plants, transmission lines, and distribution networks. Power plants generate electricity using various sources such as coal, natural gas, and renewable resources. The electricity is then transmitted through high-voltage lines to substations and distributed to local grids, where it is delivered to consumers.

What is the role of generators in feeding electricity to the grid and generator loads?

Generators play a crucial role in feeding electricity to the grid and generator loads. They act as backup sources of power when there is a high demand for electricity or when there is a disruption in the main power supply. They also help to stabilize the grid by providing reactive power and balancing out fluctuations in the electrical system.

What are the benefits of feeding electricity to the grid and generator loads?

Feeding electricity to the grid and generator loads has several benefits. It helps to ensure a continuous and reliable supply of electricity, supports economic growth and development, and reduces the reliance on fossil fuels. It also allows for the integration of renewable energy sources into the electrical system, reducing carbon emissions and promoting sustainability.

What are the challenges associated with feeding electricity to the grid and generator loads?

One of the main challenges of feeding electricity to the grid and generator loads is maintaining a balance between supply and demand. As electricity cannot be easily stored, it must be constantly generated to meet the energy demands of consumers. This requires careful planning and management of the electrical system. Additionally, the aging infrastructure and the integration of renewable energy sources also pose challenges in the efficient feeding of electricity to the grid and generator loads.