Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feeding electricity to the grid and generator loads

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am in processing of sizing a generator that biomass as fuel to be fed back to the grid as part of feed in tariff initiatives. However, I would like to know roughly how this feeding mechanism works. For example, in a workshop, a machine motor would initially draw up to 5X the rated motor power output from a generator and gradually decrease to its rated power once it gains enough momentum. I want to know if when I'm feeding electricity to the grid from my generator, does the grid draw variable loads from my generator in a similar fashion? Or is the electricity supply to the grid at a constant predictable load?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

turbo

Gold Member

You'll have to contact engineers at the supplier to get a feel for how you can feed the grid. Very large suppliers will have to be willing to curtail generation when the grid cannot absorb the electricity. Small generators will be able to feed the grid at will and let major the supplier take any swings with their non-baseload generators.

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, Most power generation companies provide huge amounts of energy and small fluctuations are moot; compared to smelting operations. Check out these conductors.

309px-TVA_phosphate_smelting_furnace.jpg

5. Nov 16, 2011 #4
    For Grid Tie - there are a lot of requirements form the utility affecting Safety, Power Quality, Grid Stability - and revenue.

The generator should be sized to consume the fuel - at optimal rate, but will require some type of load control on the generator. Other than that the Utility you are connecting to may have other requirements.

But from a technical standpoint - a Generator on the Grid can be configured to provide pretty much any level of power / current to the grid - up to the point the generator fails.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook