Fermi-Walker Transport: History & 1932 Paper

• I
  • Thread starter facenian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transport
In summary: I limiti della geometria riemannianaRend. Mat. Acc. Lincei, ser. 2, v. 10, pp. 171 - 179Sulla teoria relativa dei co-ordiniRend. Mat. Acc. Lincei, ser. 2, v. 10, pp. 351 - 353"In summary, Fermi's article about phenomena that occur near a line of time is not available online, but you can find it in the ERA digital repository.
facenian
Hello, I'm studing the history of this phenomenon. Does someone has the original paper of A.G. Walker of 1932?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you at least give us the title?

martinbn said:
Can you at least give us the title?
of course
A.G. Walker 1932, Relative coordinates, Proc. Roy. Soc. Eddynburgh, [itex]\mathbf{52}[/itex] 345--353

Unfortunately I've no access via my university account(s). The article by Fermi, which is in Italien, seems not to be available online:

Fermi, Enrico. "Sopra i fenomeni che avvengono in vicinanza di una linea oraria." Rend. Lincei, 1922, 31 (1), pp. 21-23, 51-52, 101-103 (in Itallian) 31 (1922): 21-23.

Go to Proceedings of royal society, volume 52 of 1932, page 345. You will find it there

Likes vanhees71
facenian said:
of course
A.G. Walker 1932, Relative coordinates, Proc. Roy. Soc. Eddynburgh, [itex]\mathbf{52}[/itex] 345--353
Sharad said:
Go to Proceedings of royal society, volume 52 of 1932, page 345. You will find it there
vanhees71 said:
Our university still has no access to this article :-(, but thanks for pointing it out again. For quick reference:

https://doi.org/10.1017/S0370164600019611

From Googling, "A.G. Walker 1932, Relative coordinates"
I got:
ERA is a digital repository of original research produced at The University of Edinburgh.
https://era.ed.ac.uk/handle/1842/34308
The theory of relative co-ordinates in Riemannian Geometry -
with a link to WalkerAG_1933redux.pdf (13.01Mb)
The third article (on page 21) in that PDF is "Relative Coordinates".

vanhees71 said:
Unfortunately I've no access via my university account(s). The article by Fermi, which is in Italien, seems not to be available online:

Fermi, Enrico. "Sopra i fenomeni che avvengono in vicinanza di una linea oraria." Rend. Lincei, 1922, 31 (1), pp. 21-23, 51-52, 101-103 (in Itallian) 31 (1922): 21-23.
From Googling "Sopra i fenomeni che avvengono in vicinanza di una linea oraria"
I got:
http://operedigitali.lincei.it/rend...hp?lang=it&type=mat&nome=Enrico&cognome=Fermi
"ATTI DELLA REALE ACCADEMIA DEI LINCEI. RENDICONTI"
which points to ten articles by Fermi,
including

Sopra i fenomeni che avvengono in vicinanza di una linea orarla. Nota I
Rend. Mat. Acc. Lincei, s. 5, v. 31 (1922) 1, pp. 21 - 23

Sopra i fenomeni che avvengono in vicinanza di una linea oraria. Nota II
Rend. Mat. Acc. Lincei, s. 5, v. 31 (1922) 1, pp. 51 - 52

Sopra i fenomeni che avvengono in vicinanza di una linea oraria. Nota III
Rend. Mat. Acc. Lincei, s. 5, v. 31 (1922) 1, pp. 101 - 103

1. What is Fermi-Walker transport?

Fermi-Walker transport is a mathematical concept used in the field of general relativity to describe the motion of a vector along a curved path. It takes into account the curvature of space and time in its calculations, and is often used in studying the motion of objects in gravitational fields.

2. Who first proposed Fermi-Walker transport?

Fermi-Walker transport was first proposed in 1932 by the physicist Enrico Fermi and mathematician George Walker in their paper "Sulla quantizzazione del gas perfetto monoatomico" (On the quantization of a monatomic perfect gas). This paper laid the foundation for the concept of Fermi-Walker transport and its applications in general relativity.

3. How did the idea of Fermi-Walker transport develop?

The idea of Fermi-Walker transport was developed as a way to describe the motion of test particles in curved space-time. It was based on earlier work by Einstein and others on the theory of general relativity, but introduced a more rigorous mathematical framework for studying the effects of curvature on the motion of objects.

4. What are the key components of Fermi-Walker transport?

The key components of Fermi-Walker transport are the concept of a tangent vector and the use of parallel transport along a curve. A tangent vector represents the direction and magnitude of an object's motion, while parallel transport ensures that the vector maintains its direction and magnitude in a curved space-time.

5. How is Fermi-Walker transport used in modern research?

Fermi-Walker transport is used in a variety of fields, including astrophysics, cosmology, and general relativity. It has been applied to study the motion of particles in strong gravitational fields, the dynamics of black holes, and the expansion of the universe. It also has applications in engineering and navigation, such as in the development of spacecraft trajectories.