Few question in retarded fields E and B

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the equations (10.65) and (10.66) represent the electric and magnetic fields, respectively, in terms of the distance vector from the source point charge to the field point. The first term in (10.65) falls off as the inverse square of the distance from the particle, while the second term falls off as the inverse first power and is dominant at large distances. The second term in (10.66) is similar to the first term in (10.55), with the main difference being the substitution of \vec v for \vec u. This difference can be disregarded as it disappears in the cross product. The quantity in brackets of (10.66) is also similar to (10.
yungman
Given from the book:

[tex]\vec E_{(\vec r, t)} = \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac {\eta}{(\vec{\eta}\cdot\vec u)^3} [(c^2-v^2)\vec u + \vec{\eta} \times (\vec u \times \vec a)] [/tex] (10.65)

[tex]\vec B_{(\vec r,t)} =\nabla \times \vec A_{(\vec r,t)} =\frac 1 c \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac {\eta}{(\vec{\eta}\cdot\vec u)^3} \vec {\eta} \times [(c^2-v^2)\vec v + (\vec{\eta} \cdot \vec a)\vec v + (\vec{\eta} \cdot \vec u)\vec a] [/tex] (10.66)

Where [tex]\vec{\eta} = \vec r -\vec w(t_r)[/tex] is the distance vector from the source point charge pointed by position vector [tex]\vec w (t_r)[/tex] at retarded time, to the field point pointed by position vector [tex]\vec r[/tex].

[tex]\vec u=c\hat{\eta}-\vec v\;,\; \vec v = \frac { d \vec w(t_r)}{dt_r} \;\hbox { is the velocity of point charge and retarded time.[/tex]

Below I copy straight from the book and I will point out my question at the end:

[BOOK]

The quantity in brackets of (10.66) is strikingly similar to the one in (10.55) , which can be written, using BAC-CAB rule as [tex][(c^2-v^2)\vec u + (\vec{\eta}\cdot\vec a)\vec u-(\vec{\eta}\cdot\vec u)\vec a][/tex]; the main difference is that we have [tex]\vec v[/tex] instead of [tex]\vec u[/tex] in the first two terms. In fact since it's all crossed into [tex]\vec{\eta}[/tex] anyway, we can with impunity change these [tex]\vec v[/tex] into [tex]-\vec u[/tex]; the extra term proportional to [itex]\hat {\eta} [/itex] disappears in the crass product.

The first term in [tex]\vec E[/tex] in (10.65) (the one involve [tex](c^2-v^2)\vec u [/tex]) falls off as the inverse square of the distance from the particle.

The second term in (10.65) (the one involving [tex]\vec{\eta}\times(\vec u \times \vec a)[/tex]) falls off as the inverse first power of [itex]\eta[/itex] is therefore dominant at large distance.

[END BOOK]

My question is in Blue, Green and Orange. I just don't get these. Can anyone explain these to me.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To clarify the three question I copied from the first post in Blue, Lime and Orange:

1) In fact since it's all crossed into [tex]\vec{\eta}[/tex] anyway, we can with impunity change these [tex]\vec v[/tex] into [tex]-\vec u[/tex]; the extra term proportional to [itex]\hat {\eta} [/itex] disappears in the crass product.

I don’t understand the above at all.

2) The first term in [tex]\vec E[/tex] in (10.65) (the one involve [tex](c^2-v^2)\vec u [/tex]) falls off as the inverse square of the distance from the particle.

Is the above imply using the first part of the equation of (10.65) below that it is proportion to [tex] \frac 1 {\eta^2}[/tex]

[tex]\vec E_{(\vec r, t)} = \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac {\eta}{(\vec{\eta}\cdot\vec u)^3} [(c^2-v^2)\vec u [/tex]

3) The second term in (10.65) (the one involving [tex]\vec{\eta}\times(\vec u \times \vec a)[/tex]) falls off as the inverse first power of [itex]\eta[/itex] is therefore dominant at large distance.

Does this imply [tex] \vec E [/tex] proportion to [tex]\frac 1 {\eta} [/tex] as show below?

[tex]\vec E_{(\vec r, t)} = \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac {\eta}{(\vec{\eta}\cdot\vec u)^3} [\vec{\eta} \times (\vec u \times \vec a)] [/tex]

Thanks

Alan

1. What is the difference between E and B fields?

The E and B fields are two components of the electromagnetic field. The main difference between them is that the E field is associated with electric charges, while the B field is associated with moving charges or currents. Additionally, the E field is responsible for electric forces, while the B field is responsible for magnetic forces.

2. Can E and B fields exist separately?

No, the E and B fields are always connected and cannot exist independently. A change in one field will always result in a change in the other field. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations, which govern the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

3. How are E and B fields related to light?

E and B fields are the fundamental components of electromagnetic waves, including visible light. The oscillating E and B fields create a self-propagating wave that travels through space at the speed of light. The direction of the E and B fields in the wave determines the direction of the light's polarization.

4. What are some practical applications of E and B fields?

E and B fields have numerous practical applications, including electricity and magnetism, communication technology, medical imaging, and particle accelerators. They are also used in everyday devices such as motors, generators, and speakers.

5. What is the significance of E and B fields in understanding the universe?

E and B fields play a crucial role in understanding many physical phenomena in the universe, including the behavior of charged particles, the formation of stars and galaxies, and the effects of cosmic rays. They are also fundamental to our understanding of the behavior of light and how it interacts with matter.