What determines the frequency of an RF cavity?

• Thread starter artis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cavity Rf
In summary, the frequency of TM 010 mode cavities is only dependent on the cavity radius and not the length along the beam axis. This mode is commonly used in klystron cavities and particle accelerating cavities where the E field points parallel to the beam axis. The frequency is determined by the capacitance of the cavity, which is affected by the cavity radius. The length of the cavity does not affect the frequency because it resembles a short circuited transmission line. When multiple cavities are connected together, they can be in phase or out of phase depending on the details of the geometry and the modes being used. The resonant frequency is typically determined by the length of the metallic path between the lips of the resonator.
artis
I am reading a document describing RF cavities, in there it says that for the TM 010 mode cavities the frequency is only dependent on cavity radius but not length (which I assume is the length along the beam axis).
Also I assume the TM 010 mode is the mode in which klystron cavities and particle accelerating cavities work, where the E field points parallel to the beam axis.

If what I said so far is correct , then why does the cavity frequency depend on just the radius but not the length?

My own attempt at an answer would be that the cavity radius determines the capacitance of the cavity mostly and the capacitance directly affects the resonant frequency of an LC circuit.
Although I cannot exactly understand why having the same radius but double length wouldn't affect the frequency?My other question would be about the transformer analogy of the RF cavity.
If I have one cavity that is driven by a beam and another cavity that is simply attached via waveguide to this first cavity , then do these cavities work in phase or are they out of phase?
For example is the current/magnetic field and E field all in the same direction both for the beam driven first cavity and the waveguide coupled second cavity or not?

Or does this depend on the length and termination of the waveguide that couples the cavities? Wherein based on this one can couple another or multiple cavities all either in phase or out of phase?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The following article shows the cavity on Page 9 and shows how it resembles a short circuited transmission line having a length of about a quarter of a wavelength. We can imagine a wave travellimg back and forth in the radial direction - that is why length does not alter the frequency.
If cavities are connected together by a waveguide, that is like joining two LC circuits with a transmission line. If we assume the LC circuits are at resonance, they are resistive and the transmission line introduces a phase shift according to its length.
[sorry about the long link, due to my poor IT skills]
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...df/1111.4897&usg=AOvVaw0YJR0kgv9AG65md6EPQij_

• Informative
Likes artis and Klystron
May I also mention that the waveguide could introduce a phase reversal caused by the sense of connection to the cavities.

The answer to your first question is that is sort of a "fundamental property" of solutions to the Helmholtz equation that for most shapes there are eigenmodes that do not depend on some of the dimensions of this shape. The same thing is true for e.g. drums so it is not in any way unique to RF cavities.
Note that there is nothing says that this will be the "dominant" mode of a given cavity; this will depend on how the cavity is excited and also on the quality factor of the different modes.

The answer to the 2nd question is "it depends"; it will depend on the details of the geometry and which modes you are working with.

tech99 said:
We can imagine a wave travellimg back and forth in the radial direction - that is why length does not alter the frequency
I am probably making a mistake here but making the cavity longer along it's beam axis would decrease the capacitance by separating the cavity walls as well as increase it's inductance , would it not?

But in general @f95toli it is possible to connect multiple cavities such that they are all in phase with one another?

artis said:
But in general @f95toli it is possible to connect multiple cavities such that they are all in phase with one another?

I can't see why not, you would just need to design is properly.

I think the resonant frequency will be decided by the length of the metallic path between the lips of the resonator, which will be approx half a wavelength. There will be slight capacitive loading between the lips and this will lower the frequency slightly.

What is an RF cavity?

An RF cavity is a resonant chamber used to generate and amplify radio frequency (RF) electromagnetic waves.

What determines the frequency of an RF cavity?

The frequency of an RF cavity is determined by its physical dimensions, specifically the length and shape of the cavity, as well as the materials used in its construction.

How does the length of an RF cavity affect its frequency?

The length of an RF cavity is directly proportional to its resonant frequency. A longer cavity will have a lower frequency, while a shorter cavity will have a higher frequency.

What is the role of the shape of an RF cavity in determining its frequency?

The shape of an RF cavity can affect its resonant frequency by altering the distribution of electric and magnetic fields within the cavity. Different shapes can result in different resonant frequencies.

How do materials used in an RF cavity impact its frequency?

The type and quality of materials used in an RF cavity can affect its resonant frequency by altering the speed at which electromagnetic waves travel within the cavity. This can ultimately impact the overall performance of the cavity.