Feynman Path Integral: Teaching and Questions

In summary: That was my question above. And I don't know how to proceed, even though it's probably a simple answer.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Feynman paths and their contributions to the final "arrow" or propagator. The conversation also touches on the calculation of the difference between kinetic and potential energy along a chosen path, and the application of this concept to photons. The discussion also delves into the idea of non-classical paths and their role in diffraction contributions. Overall, the conversation explores the complexities of Feynman's sum-over-paths quantum theory and its applications to various scenarios.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
I'm reading "Teaching Feynman’s sum-over-paths quantum theory" by Taylor et al.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.374.4480&rep=rep1&type=pdf,

I'd like to confirm whether my understanding is correct, so a couple of questions.

1. We need to try and think of all kinds of different classical, not-quite-classical, and frankly weird trajectories that are going to contribute to the final "arrow" (propagator?). But have to restrict ourselves to trajectories that complete the trip from A to B in the same time as that of a straight line flight from A to B. -- Is this correct?

2. Once we select a path, we integrate the difference between KE and PE along that path. How do we calculate this for a photon if we consider a segment where it is flying, say, at 2 x c ?

3. Consider an interferometer in a laboratory. There is a detector where we see a complete null due to destructive interference. Now on another workbench is a mirror that has nothing do do with the experiment at all. But based on the nature of diffraction and gaussian beams (which have an inevitable "tail" that never goes to zero) we know that if we move that mirror, there will be a tiny change in the position of the null because some non-zero part of the energy bounces off that unused mirror. Now my question is, when we consider 'non-classical' Feynman paths that bounce off that stray mirror, is this merely a way of including weak diffraction contributions, or is there something way deeper going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
have to restrict ourselves to trajectories that complete the trip from A to B in the same time as that of a straight line flight from A to B.

It depends on what you mean by "in the same time". The coordinate time will be the same, yes, because the coordinate time of A and B is part of the definition of A and B--they are events in spacetime, not points in space. But the "elapsed time" for the particle traveling along a particular path--what the paper you linked to would call the number of turns of the particle's stopwatch hand--is not the same for all paths: if it were, all paths would have the same phase and there would never be any quantum interference between paths.

Swamp Thing said:
Once we select a path, we integrate the difference between KE and PE along that path.

For an electron, yes. See below.

Swamp Thing said:
How do we calculate this for a photon if we consider a segment where it is flying, say, at 2 x c ?

You don't. The KE - PE version applies to an electron, not a photon. For a photon, you calculate the rotation rate of the stopwatch hand by assuming it is the same as the frequency of the corresponding classical wave (item 3 on p. 191). The reason you have to bring in the KE - PE thing for an electron is that there is no classical wave corresponding to an electron (item 6 on p. 191).

Swamp Thing said:
if we move that mirror, there will be a tiny change in the position of the null because some non-zero part of the energy bounces off that unused mirror

In principle, yes. But you might want to try running some numbers to see how small this effect actually is for a typical laboratory experiment.

Swamp Thing said:
when we consider 'non-classical' Feynman paths that bounce off that stray mirror, is this merely a way of including weak diffraction contributions, or is there something way deeper going on?

What's the difference?

Likes bhobba and Swamp Thing
Thank you!

Swamp Thing said:
is this merely a way of including weak diffraction contributions, or is there something way deeper going on?

PeterDonis said:
What's the difference?

Exactly. I'm like, "Is that all it is, or is there something cool that I'm missing?"

PeterDonis said:
But the "elapsed time" for the particle traveling along a particular path--what the paper you linked to would call the number of turns of the particle's stopwatch hand--is not the same for all paths: i
PeterDonis said:
For a photon, you calculate the rotation rate of the stopwatch hand by assuming it is the same as the frequency of the corresponding classical wave

If we want to find the clock rotation for a small path segment dx, dt where say v = dx/dt = ##\alpha c## , and the frequency is ##\omega## , what is the formula for the clock rotation over that interval? The paper doesn't provide that, and other works I could find are far beyond my current level. Would we just take the Lorentz-transformed dt based on ##\alpha##, and multiply by ##\omega##? And we don't apply any Doppler shift to the omega, just keep it constant?

Last edited:
Already reading the abstract nearly made me faint. Don't teach the students about trajectories of photons. There are none!

Swamp Thing said:
If we want to find the clock rotation for a small path segment dx, dt where say ##v = dx/dt = \alpha c##

Where does this "v" come from?

Swamp Thing said:
the frequency is ##\omega## , what is the formula for the clock rotation over that interval?

Go read what you quoted from my post again. It already contains the answer to this question.

PeterDonis said:
Where does this "v" come from?
It comes from any single assumed path (in spacetime) that we happened to choose, as a candidate that is going to contribute to the final total arrow. Say I decided to find the arrow rotation for a path where the photon traveled from event A to event B in spacetime. But let's say it is a straight line in terms of the x, y, z space but it traveled faster than c for some time and slower than c for some time. So this path is a valid member of all paths that start at event A and end at event B. And the "v" is the velocity in that path at some point along it.

Hope I've not gone wrong up to this point. If it's ok, then how do we get the arrow rotation for a small segment dt, dx. As you pointed out, we can't assume that the "t" is the same as that for a classical path. So I'm guessing the dt's have to be the Lorentz transformed dts. But if that is correct, does the ##\omega## have to be transformed, too?

Swamp Thing said:
It comes from anyone assumed path (in spacetime) that we happened to choose, as a candidate that is going to contribute to the final total arrow.

How does a path give you a ##v##?

Swamp Thing said:
how do we get the arrow rotation for a small segment dt, dx

That question has already been answered. Go back and read what you quoted from me, again.

I think part of the problem is, I have been using the same word "path" to talk about both "history" and "curve in x,y,z space". I'll think through it again and get back. Thank you.

1) What is the Feynman Path Integral?

The Feynman Path Integral is a mathematical method used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another in a given amount of time. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1940s and is based on the principle of superposition, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

2) How is the Feynman Path Integral used in teaching?

The Feynman Path Integral is often used in teaching quantum mechanics because it provides a visual representation of how particles move and interact in quantum systems. It allows students to better understand complex concepts such as wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle.

3) What are some common misconceptions about the Feynman Path Integral?

One common misconception is that the Feynman Path Integral is the only way to calculate quantum probabilities. In reality, there are other methods such as the Schrödinger equation that can also be used. Another misconception is that the path integral represents the actual path a particle takes, when in fact it represents all possible paths a particle could take.

4) What are some real-world applications of the Feynman Path Integral?

The Feynman Path Integral has been applied in various fields such as quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and statistical mechanics. It has also been used in the development of quantum computing algorithms and in the study of molecular dynamics.

5) Are there any limitations to the Feynman Path Integral?

One limitation of the Feynman Path Integral is that it becomes increasingly complex and difficult to calculate as the number of particles or interactions increases. It also does not work well for systems with strong interactions or for systems that are not in a state of equilibrium.