Feynman rule involving derivative of a field.

In summary, the Feynman rule corresponding to a term like ieA^{\mu}\phi^{\ast}\partial_{\mu}\phi involves taking the Fourier transform of the fields, plugging them into the interaction term, and then applying the derivative to the phi field. This introduces a factor of -i k_\mu, making the coupling dependent on the momentum of the field. This derivative term represents the kinetic term in the non-interaction term \partial^\mu \phi^* \partial_\mu \phi.
arroy_0205
Can anybody help me by explaining how to write down the Feynman rule corresponding to a term like
[tex]
ieA^{\mu}\phi^{\ast}\partial_{\mu}\phi
[/tex]
I am confused about the presence of the derivative term. Terms have usual meaning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, when you have a term like
[tex]A^\mu \phi^* \phi[/tex]
you would take the Fourier transform
[tex]A^\mu(x) = \int dk A^\mu(k) e^{-i k \cdot x}, \qquad
\phi(x) = \int dk \phi(k) e^{-i k \cdot x}, \qquad
\phi^*(x) \int dk \phi^*(k) e^{i k \cdot x}
[/tex]
Then you plug this in and you get the Feynman rule for the interaction. I assume you have seen this calculation and you know how to do it (if not, I suggest you review it - it's much more handy to know how to do the calculation than to remember what all the Feynman rules look like).

In this case, you can do exactly the same. You will end up having the derivative act on the phi field, which will produce an extra factor [itex]-i k_\mu[/itex]. Usually, this is indicated in the graphical rule by drawing a double line for the field which the derivative acts on (in this case, the phi field).

Thanks for the reply. However I wondered is there any significance of the derivative itself? Normally I have seen product of fields to represent interaction vertex and inverse of quadratic part of field related to propagator; that way is the first derivative of any special significance?

As I said, it introduces a term with [itex]k_\mu[/itex]. So in a sense, its special significance is that it makes the coupling dependent on the momentum of the field. Or, in the non-interaction term [itex]\partial^\mu \phi^* \partial_\mu \phi[/itex] you get a [itex]k_\mu k^\mu = k^2[/itex] dependence, which indicates that it's a kinetic term.

What is the Feynman rule involving derivative of a field?

The Feynman rule involving derivative of a field is a mathematical formula used in quantum field theory to calculate the amplitude of a specific particle interaction. It involves taking the derivative of the field with respect to its momentum and multiplying it by a propagator function.

Why is the Feynman rule involving derivative of a field important?

This rule is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle interaction occurring in quantum field theory. It is a fundamental tool in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

How is the Feynman rule involving derivative of a field used in practice?

In practice, the Feynman rule involving derivative of a field is used to calculate the amplitude of a specific particle interaction in a Feynman diagram. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in experiments.

What are the assumptions made when using the Feynman rule involving derivative of a field?

One of the main assumptions is that the particles involved in the interaction are free and do not interact with each other. This simplifies the calculation and allows us to focus on the effects of the fields.

Are there any limitations to the Feynman rule involving derivative of a field?

Yes, there are limitations to this rule. It does not take into account the effects of higher order interactions and can only be used for perturbative calculations. In addition, it may not accurately describe interactions at energies that are significantly higher than the mass of the particles involved.